The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not using 2 exhaust manifold studs...?

mooserage

Staff member
So I was re-assembling my exhaust manifold after the turbo was rebuilt. I had a bunch of trouble with one stud going in all the way. I stupidly went to put the nut on instead of trying to find another solution and stripped the threads out of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Now here is my question:

I am now missing the farthest right stud (on bottom) and this stud I stripped the threads out of today (second from left on top), how much of a problem is this? am I looking at warping the manifold? Should I pull it all apart and helicoil the head now or can it wait a month?

As always thanks guys.

IMAG0089.jpg

rdomeck

You will probably start leaking shortly. I don't think you would warp the manifold, unless you drove like that for years! Best option is to fix it now and not take a chance!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
He's right. Leaks will be certain, especially with an end one missing. These things expand a lot under the temps they see. Need to fix it.

LIV4PSI

Pre-turbo exhaust leaks are all bad. They will raise the EGT's and possibly cause knock I believe.

I agree, fix it now before you put everything back together, you'll just be making more work for yourself in a few weeks when you have to take it apart again.

And with your finger smear a small layer of copper rtv on both sides of the gasket around the ports, helps create a proper seal.

JNR

I agree to get it fixed as soon as possible and the nice thing is there is some room (access) to work in there...

rdomeck

If your holes are just stripped out then you have a easy fix. Most of the time when you have a problem it's the stud breaking off. You then have to drill the steel stud out of the aluminum head....I say it like that because it is very easy for the drill to get to one side of the stud and you end up drilling the aluminum and not the stud. Makes for a fine mess! Run up to the auto parts store and purchase a helicoil kit and fix it now.

mooserage

Staff member
Helicoil kit in hand, going to just fix it now, however, I'm going to have to go buy a right angle drill because all of mine are too big to get in there... derp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

rdomeck

Oh, And I don't see any anti seize on those threads.... Do yourself the favor and use anti seize on the studs and on the bolts going into the turbo!

JNR

just remember the anti-seize will affect your torque value and can be as much as 35% difference (lower # you should use if you're using a torque wrench)! Easy to strip out cold aluminum by cranking down too hard and with studs, you can almost get away with hand tight (assuming clean threads), so don't torque them down too much. (edit - I'm talking about the stud itself and not the nut of course, which should be torqued down appropriately).

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned