The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

can exaust leek cause turbo issues

Well the issues just keep coming now I found a stripped stud on exaust manifold. Above turbo I wonder if that why I'm not spooling up very well until like 4500. Well time for a helicoil this sucks real bad

Muskrat

That could affect it. Can you see any visible sign of a leak? Theres usually some sort of witness mark (carbon buildup)

Also, check for cracks across your waste-gate. It's a common occurrence with the stock turbo's, and will have a similar result.

I could hear the leek when driving and at idle when cold and I can feel the exaust spewing out this sucks

Ian M

A exhaust leak before the turbo will affect spool up,and they suck. I'm not sure what a exaust leek is,but it doesn't sound like a good thing either.

You have to fix that leak first.

Last edited:

vtecds1

^^^+1. I could not figure out why my turbo wasn't hitting full boost until 6krpm. I did a little searching in the manifold and noticed a slight crack on one of the welds. After taking it off, I found 6 cracks on the welds. 1 of the welds didn't even go all the way.

Well I have enlisted the help of boostedinaz. To help me get my car back to decent driveability.

I hate exaust leaks but if its just a crapy head bolt that would be great. Hopfuly not leaks elswhere . I will keep you all updated as this car comes back to life one $$$$ at a time

mitsuturbo

Quoting drdamm21:
Well the issues just keep coming now I found a stripped stud on exaust manifold. Above turbo I wonder if that why I'm not spooling up very well until like 4500. Well time for a helicoil this sucks real bad

If there's room, i just drill the hole out and put a nut/bolt thru the whole thing. Easily replaceable!

This is a leek:
leek.jpg

evo8ya

It'll def effect spool time. If you fix the leak and you still have a slow spool time, check your ign & base timing. GL

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting Speed_Racer:
This is a leek:
leek.jpg

GET IN MUH BELLEH!
I love leek and potato soup!

I wouldn't want them in my exhaust either.

steve

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Quoting Speed_Racer:
This is a leek:

Well I wouldn't want that in my exhaust.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

evo8ya

Quoting mitsuturbo:

I wouldn't want them in my exhaust either.

rimshot.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

While it's out, check for trueness (flat) on both flanges; otherwise you'll never seal it all the way. Doesn't hurt and only takes a minute. I like to lap my flanges anyway, cause there's always some degree of tolerance and esp. on older oem with many heating/cooling cycles.

Quoting steveGLS:
Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Quoting Speed_Racer:
This is a leek:

Well I wouldn't want that in my exhaust.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

I've made exhaust manifold burritos [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Great for wheelin. Exhaust manifold leeks? Doubt its as good. I'm sure tabasco would help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

boostedinaz

Quoting JNR:
I like to lap my flanges anyway

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Man oh man do you guys love me spelling errors. Sory I'm jsut in kindergarden ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts