The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo Brakes on GVR4

cheekychimp

I have Evo (Brembo) rear calipers on my 3KGT rear hubs and they fit without adapter brackets (might have required some grinding though). I am afraid I don't know what year or model of Evo they came from but I can try to find out for you.

I also used 3KGT front hubs so that I could fit the 3KGT calipers without using adapter brackets. I know you aren't asking about that but I 'believe' that some Brembo calipers have the same bolt spacing as the 3KGT calipers and so would fit on those hubs as well. I was told it was possible but that the 3KGT calipers are actually better. I've got no idea if that is true to be honest the 3KGT brakes work fine for me and don't raise any eyebrows at inspection (they have Mitsubishi embossed across them) so I never pursued it.

89Patches

I will eventually do this swap. But I ain't swapping in the 3kgt trailing arms.

I am just going to make brackets for the rear and run a Hydraulic e-brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MDK87

Cheeky - thanks mate. I think all of the Evo brembos are the same up until Evo 10.
And good to know about the 3KGT front hub caliper mount spacing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
One question, how did you adapt the stock handbrake cable end onto the 3KGT setup?

89 - That would be an easy option I guess but I want to retain a mechanical park brake.
I would love a set of 3KGT trailing arms an hubs...If anyone knows of a set for sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers

cheekychimp

On my other car we used a 3KGT cable (the stock one was too short if I recall correctly). I'm not 100% sure about on this car with the rear Brembo caliper. The e-brake appears to be all EVO so I presume it is the entire assembly with a corresponding matching rotor but I am not sure if the setup still required the longer 3KGT cable or if the stock one worked in this configuration. I've never owned an EVO so I am not familiar with the brakes.

If you are thinking of doing this, drop me a PM with any questions and I'll try to get you any info you need. My mechanic has swapped a lot of the 3KGT rear setups so I can give him a call and get the specifics on the Brembo setup if required.

89Patches

Well if I decide against the Hydro ebrake. I'll probably buy a wilwood mechanical caliper and make a mount for it.

I will never use that drum setup ever!! It's just crap.

cheekychimp

MDK87,

Sorry mate, I think I might have made a mistake about this rear Brembo caliper. Ken my mechanic seems to think it was actually a Brembo aftermarket caliper for a 3KGT (hence the reason it fits). That means the rear rotor is 3KGT with the 3KGT drum e-brake mated to the stock lever with a 3KGT e-brake cable.

Does anyone know how I can check this? Was there a Brembo aftermarket kit for the 3KGT?

So I cannot verify at this stage that the EVO rear caliper fits the 3KGT hub!!!

Some of this info might be helpful to for upgrades. Brake Upgrade Options for the AWD 3000GT/Stealth page. click

MDK87

Thanks guys.

Cheeky - the evo's also use an integral drum setup but I'm not sure if the drum is the same diameter.
I've already purchased E9 brakes and I've got a fabricator looking into what is required to fit these on a VR4 rear.
Hopefully I can return some useful info.

MDK87

And cheeky, it helps a lot just to know that 3KGT trailing arms and hubs fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would I need any other parts aside from the 3KGT trailing arms, hubs and handbrake cable to fit them to a Galant?
Cheers

cheekychimp

I don't think you need any other parts (although I'd recommend upgrading to the 3KGT brake booster), but there are a few things that may require further modification.

a) You may want adjustable rear control arms to tweak your camber depending on your setup. You won't really know for sure until you get everything on and check your rear camber.
b) If you can't make the E9 drum brake work (although I honestly can't see why you couldn't make that work) you might need a 3KGT drum brake if it didn't come with the hubs.
c) This mod widens the rear track by about 12mm on both sides. Perfect for stock wheels in my opinion but if you already have wider wheels/different offset etc it could be an issue for you.
d) I also have this niggling voice in my head saying something about suspension and bolt sizes.

I have a feeling that you may need to either use a bushing in the 3KGT arms or drill out the mounting holes in the suspension. I'm not sure which way round it goes but I think there is a difference in bolt sizes somewhere. If you come across any issues as always PM me and I'll see what I can find out. I did this a long time ago so my memory is a little fuzzy, hence me forgetting about that rear caliper.

prove_it

The bolt the lower shock mounts to is different. GVR4 has a 21mm bolt where the 3KGT has a 22mm bolt. Easy to correct though. Just drill the bushing out a little to make it fit.

So it may be that the Supercar Engineering 3/S-EVO8 Suspension Adapters click are 0.040" larger than the Galant lower shock mount?

CAM00212.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned