The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Low clutch pedal engagement?

AWDnot2

Anybody have still have the low clutch pedal engagement even after replacing slave cyl, master cyl, longer slave cylinder rod and adjusted all the way out?
I'm not asking how to fix it, would just like to get a count on the number of people affected.

Last edited:

Diego

Mine seems fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Did you get the shorter slave rod?

AWDnot2

No. my friend tried all sorts if known remedies to no avail. I ended up extending the U shaped piece that the master cylinder rod threads into, the part that connects to the pedal. It alleviated the problem and has about 3/8" of thread left for additional adjustment.

I put the OE slave cylinder rod back in and it still worked perfectly. Clutch disengages at about 1/2 travel. and this is with a stock rubber clutch line and 2600 clutch.

I was just wondering if this piece is already available from somewhere, already extended.

number3

Is the pivot point under the dash worn out?

beaner

Mine engaged and grinded soo bad for years. I did *everything* short of welding the assembly. The solution was finally swapping the trans out for a good one. Night and day difference. The extended rod and nut welded behind the "U" bracket weren't close to needed anymore. A sh*t trans is a big part of the puzzle and often overlooked. Everything else helps with driveability and response, but assuming the pedal assembly is fine and it's all bled with no leaks, the trans is probably garbage IMHO.

AWDnot2

Trans feels great now. Shifts silky smooth. The nut on the end of the pedal assembly was loose, but that was one of the first things we fixed.
Even when everything was replaced, the clutch dis/engagement was right off the floor.
Now, when we put a stock clutch back in it, it was fine. Any type of heavy clamping pressure plate, back to the same problem.

Remember that there are two available slave cylinders for these rides. The more common one is a 13/16" diameter piston, the other is a 3/4" diameter piston. The smaller piston moves farther with the same pedal travel, and helped my engagement tremendously.

atc250r

Staff member
One of the things that really helped mine was when I backed the cruise control switch all the way out. When its screwed in it keeps the pedal from getting all the way up and takes away some of your "throw".

AWDnot2

The slave that's in it is the smaller one.

The mention of the cruise switch reminds me.. When the clutch was fully released, the pedal wouldn't even release far enough to depress the switch. Like the master cylinder adjustment threaded rod wasn't long enough, it was threaded out all the way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned