The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake caliper re-build kits

TylerAdamson

Just wondering if anybody has any experience rebuilding calipers. I'm about to take on the task of rebuilding on of the rear calipers on 934. Overall it's a much cheaper than buying a remaned unit. The rebuild kit with seals and piston is right around $20 from Rock Auto as oppose to $70+ for the new caliper. Anybody have and input on this?

Struc

I would just buy a rebuilt unit. The rebuild kits are fine if there is just a seal that went bad, but considering the age of these things, the bores of the caliper should probably be honed and checked for roundness, as well as looking for the usual wear marks and scratches in the bore. Unless you already have a brake bore hone to do it right, I wouldn't bother.

boostedinaz

Have to agree. I had the same issue with a seized rear rotor and bought a rebuild kit. Problem was the piston was so badly stuck I could get it out to do the rebuild. I bought new calipers and called it a day.

TylerAdamson

My caliper is disassembled and and is just in need of reassembly with new seals and what not.

89Mirageman

I have rebuilt many calipers with no issues. There are some great write ups on dsm tuners that walk you through the process. Even a nifty homemade tool that allows you to take the rear calipers apart with the built in ebrakes.

I agree with the statement above though, if the piston was stuck in the bore and it had to be forced out I would start with another caliper.

alansupra94

With the advanced auto coupon, you can get a sick deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

alansupra94

click

Just scroll down the list and pick one that works with your total.

I got tuner lug nuts, fuel filter and a whole gallon of purple degreaser for $30.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned