The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to Buy Quality Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders?

desant78

Hello gvr4.org

I have brake fluid on my driver side floor mat, and my clutch fluid is black. The clutch line and fluid is less than 1k, so I suspect the master cylinder is bad.

I have no issue investing into a new master cylinder and slave, but any suggestions where to get quality parts?

Should I order Mitsu OEM, or a rebuild kit from rock auto suffice? I have a ACT 2600 with ACT flywheel and street disk, using the "slave extension rod"

thanks in advance!

turbowop

OE Mitsu is awesome, but pricey. I've been happy with the Dorman master and slave I installed in 1051 several months ago. I actually just installed a new Dorman master in 503 last night. The OE one finally died after 198k miles. Rockauto is fine, but you can sometimes find the same part on Ebay for a little cheaper.

5OF2k

If you go to a local parts store, and ask them for the Beck Arnley replacement part, you're actually getting a factory Mitsu part, just re-packaged. Beck arnley goes to auto manufacturers 10years after the company stops producing the replacement parts for whichever model, and buys their stock of parts for a lump sum. The end result is factory parts for WAY cheaper.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

turbowop

I'm not so sure that works for all parts from Beck Arnley. Otherwise JNZ probably wouldn't be charging close to $140 for an OE GVR4 master cylinder.

DynastyLCD

though its not 100% true, that is a fairly accurate statement. most of the beck/arnley stuff i've got my hands on has been the same as OEM. the last shop i worked at, we used beck/arnley as much as possible for that very reason. in my experience, about 90% of their stuff that i used, looked identical to the factory parts it was replacing. i'd say you are in good hands with rock auto and the beck/arnley stuff, Sal!

5OF2k

For what its worth, every beck part ive installed on my cars that i've looked at and compared had the same part numbers stamped on the parts. Everythig from the clutch master and slave on my talon, to the coils, ignition module, FIAV and headlight relay on #5. Granted, thats not everything, but i do highly recommend their parts. Not to mention, my parts connect is a Beck dealer and is who told me thats how they get their parts.

But whatevs, point is, they have good ish for extremely reasonable prices.

-Jake

Vr4junkie

I had the same experience with Beck Arnley Parts all the bearing I have ordered form them were ACL Bearings repacked in there boxes and ordered some rings looked like NPR rings just repacked. If you check out other forms you see people sometimes getting OEM parts just in Beck Arnley boxes and for a whole lot cheaper.

Here's a pic of some bearings I had laying around to give an idea what I mean.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I work for oreillys and we sell beck arnly stuff I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

GSX_TC

Roger that, the beck/arnly stuff is special order so it will take a few days to be able to check it. But I'll come back on here With a picture

desant78

^thanks mike!

GSX_TC

No problem, ill be back in a few days with some info on this.

GSX_TC

Ok I'm at work right now and just put in the order for the B/A clutch master cylinder. apparently they don't make a B/A clutch slave cylinder, all I see available for our cars (slave cylinder wise) are power torque, brake best (house brand) and dorman.

desant78

Any update? Just wondering!

GSX_TC

still waiting on that part to come in. looks like someone already has one on their car so maybe they can post a pic or something

turbofonz

I bought a Raybestos labeled master off Rockauto after seeing the picture say Nabco... got it and it was indeed Nabco cylinder. work's great.

GSX_TC

Update: part just came in. Gonna upload the pics of it tomorrow.

EDIT: here are the pics.

this is what you get when you special order a beck/arnley clutch master cylinder for a 91 Galant VR4 from any Oreillys auto parts store. Hope these pics help guys

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

Last edited:

turbowop

That ain't no factory master cylinder. But I have that exact one on 1051 and it's been working great all summer with a TMZ SBC SS-X clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned