The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo blanket on a 16G?!?

ade

i know mostly custom fitted have been done, but are there any other hot side blankets our G's can easily fit into with little to no modification? T3,T4?

ade

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

they make an FP one, which is pretty sweet. pricey at almost $100 though. that first one you linked said MHI turbos.

off topic question: are there any substantial power or spool gains of doing this? or are you just trying to utilize it as a heat shield?

JNR

The more heat you can retain pre-wheel, the more effecient it'll be, as the not only does the velocity of the exhasut stream move the wheel, but the expansion of the heat within helps to "push" the wheel, to put it simply.

I would also *think* that by having a blanket, it will cool down slower after you shut it off, so that your housing (cast iron) can live longer w/o cracking and such, but that is probably more for internal WG units...

But yeah, it also helps keep the radiant heat from travelling into the engine bay, further reducing underhood temps.

Like to get one myself, but I wouldn't pay $100 for one.

ade

Thank you JNR, you covered all the pros. the only con so far would be if the blanket were to get oil soaked, this could cause a fire. regular inspections can prevent this.

Only you can prevent engine fires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Phil im rolling towards the first one my self, add getting the manifold ceramic coated and a power steering/alternator heat shield and i should be gravy.

MellowVR4

myaswell get the manifold one too while ur adit. even cooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

Should take off your hood bumper and fenders for maximum Coolidge

transparentdsm

Ade im thinking its a good move and i kinda want one to, lets try to get a thread going on a group buy for this and get a vendor to hook us up for like 65 bucks a blanket..

ade

Quoting MellowVR4:
myaswell get the manifold one too while ur adit. even cooler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theres a manifold one? lol oh boy! i hope it comes in greeicantdoit. bra, im just trying to keep the temps ina de bay down.

Quoting James:
Should take off your hood bumper and fenders for maximum Coolidge

?!?...rofl, i love u man.

Shane... i look up group buys, buy from group buys, but i have to admit, i am too lazy to set up a group buy. either way Mellow, James and I are in.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Is their any major difference between all of the brands including the fp one?? im all about saving money but if theirs a difference between the brands, id rather spend the money for the best one. And yes i am getting the manifold blanket on ebay lol

mikus

I'm sure you won't notice the difference, regardless what brand you wrap your exhaust manifold with

MellowVR4

wraping it proly wont but this is a one piece blanket

click

mikus

oh, 50hp then

Don't let the spool time go into the negative, look what happened to Marty McFly. Parkinsons my ass

ade

Easy Mikus, parkinson's ain't no joke.

Mellow, i suspect some brands are made with better insulating materials than others thus improving its use.

MellowVR4

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts