The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

What brake kit are you using that has 15 inch rotors? I thought I had it nice with 13.5 inch rotors...

Bimmubishi

Paul, to be honest I've never thought about things that way. I've wondered why you chose the galant but you're right.. people lose sight in projects and start with a 20K car then spend another 20 and completely devalue the car en route to modifying it. Interesting perspective.

Anyway Cy, it's not the galant we have at the shop. That belongs to another member and it's race only. That's why I'm qualifying this as a street car even though it's a lion in disguise.

Bimmubishi

PS- like Powerplay said.. those are the last Cusco Bars in the world. We got them straight from Cusco Via EMS. They cost more than a lot of suspension kits when they're here but the quality is unrivaled. The bars are I beam style, the plates on the strut tops are almost double the thinkness of the average strut bar.

We also have a set of JIC Magic adjustable coil overs for E39A for sale if anyone's interested.. while we're on the suspension subject.

Paul, check your pm when you can

AL

cheekychimp

Quote:
What brake kit are you using that has 15 inch rotors? I thought I had it nice with 13.5 inch rotors...

lol ... Faustus it's a sore point ... It's a custom modified Stoptech kit built by Supercar Engineering. If you read between the lines what I am saying is all the research has been done but the kit doesn't yet exist. I also in all honesty can't afford it right now which is a PITA because the guy wants 50% up front to start but if I paid that I wouldn't be able to get the other bits done. The kit will take 6 weeks to build. If he'd just build it and let me pay when it's done I'd be laughing but you can understand him not doing that.

I guess I'll just have to do everything else and put the brakes on later or rethink an AP unit. I've got 3KGT brakes on at the moment which are actually very good, I'm just not sure if they'll hold up to the extra HP.

Does anyone know what the maximum rotor size is that I can use with an OEM 3KGT caliper?

Last edited:

Ian M

Quote:
Quote:
Remind us again why you're doing all this to a sub-$2000 car? Next time I'm at DSG I plan to take a closer look at this project.

For the simple reason that it IS a sub-$2000 car. I have already tried the modifying a new car route and it's a blatant waste of money. You buy a new car and you rip off perfectly good parts to replace them. It would have cost me twice as much to do this to a new car.

I know there are people out there who will say "I couldn't justify spending that sort of money on a 12 year old car, I'd rather buy a new one". And if you feel that way and that's what makes you happy, then I think that's what you should do. But if I bought a brand new Subaru or EVO it would be 'stock'. It would have all the weaknesses, all the restrictions, all the needs of a stock car. When the VR4 is done, it will in fact be NEW. You'll be hard pushed to find something on it that isn't. And it will be stronger, faster and better than any stock AWD out there.

Add to that it's a bit of heritage, it costs me nothing in insurance compared to a brand new EVO or such, noone will ever expect it to be THAT fast which makes giving a brand new STi a complete hiding much more fun ... and it just looks good, even after 12 years.

This is my DREAM car. You can take your Lamborghinis and Ferraris, your Porsches and your Hummers, your AMG Mercedez and your Rolls Royces. All are fantastic cars but if I had to choose one car to drive everyday and to do everything, I'd still choose this one. 0-60 in sub 5 secs, a top speed of probably 160 or more, a proper trunk, four doors, four seats, a first class stereo, GPS, internet access, DVD playback with 5.1 surround sound, air-conditioning, rear view camera, race suspension, 18 inch rims with 380 mm front discs. Now tell me the sticker price on a new car that has ALL of that included and tell me you STILL don't think this is worth the money.

You took the words out of my mouth!

I am a GVR4 guy,I love the them,and I would rather have a baddass GVR4 than a WRx,Sti,or a EVO. Hands down. I might be biased,considering my other two project cars are nearly 50 years old.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I were too build a no-holds barred ultimate project,I would do the same thing! Sounds like you are gonna be raising the bar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

You car sounds like its gonna be sick..I cant wait to see some pics when its done!

Last edited:

Quote:
Quote:

lol ... Faustus it's a sore point ... It's a custom modified Stoptech kit built by Supercar Engineering. If you read between the lines what I am saying is all the research has been done but the kit doesn't yet exist. I also in all honesty can't afford it right now which is a PITA because the guy wants 50% up front to start but if I paid that I wouldn't be able to get the other bits done. The kit will take 6 weeks to build. If he'd just build it and let me pay when it's done I'd be laughing but you can understand him not doing that.

I guess I'll have to just have to do everything else and put the brakes on later or rethink an AP unit. I've got 3KGT brakes on at the moment which are actually very good, I'm just not sure if they'll hold up to the extra HP.

Does anyone know what the maximum rotor size is that I can use with an OEM 3KGT caliper?

I've got a Stillen/AP Racing Big Brake kit from a 3000GT VR4 if you would be interested in trying to make that work. I was going to do it with the help of TCE but just went with one of their kits instead. Good Luck.

Quote:
And it will be stronger, faster and better than any stock AWD out there.

You sound just like Oscar Goldman!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with the project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Mike.

cheekychimp

Quote:
how much WHP are you shooting for?

You know to be honest, I've never really sat down and thought about it. The design brief was for driveability rather than maximum horsepower. That's what the components were all chosen for. The stroker kit, higher compression, mid range cylinder head work and the modified Forrester intake are all aimed at producing torque rather than horsepower. If I was going the latter route I should have built a 2.0 litre, lowered the compression, gone for some far more aggressive headwork and stuck a sheet metal intake on. I still think the components are there for some pretty healthy power figures but I don't think I'm going to have any of the big boys on this board worried ... and a lot is still going to depend on how well I get to grips with the tuning issues.

The Holsets are supposed to be good for 549 whp at 22 psi. Maximum boost should come in at about 4000 rpms if the car bullseye-power set up is anything to go by, and that was a 2.0 litre with an extensive list of supporting mods. If I can get anywhere near that I'll be happy.

jepherz

Staff member
I could have sworn they used RFID for those keyless tags on cars. I am in the process of doing a project with RFID right now, and let me tell you, it's amazing...

Can you please tell me which Driveshaftshop.com axles they are? Are the fronts the ABS models or non-abs? I am going to order them soon and need to know which to get. Also, what about the rear upgraded bars? Thanks for any help you can provide.

3Diamond

YEAH but the problem with RFID's is (BTW prius uses them, benzez are still IR or laser or something optical) is that they need to be powered. So the interior one is quite easy, getting power from battery, but your fob one will be requiring AAA bat quite often.

The unpowered units are at a disadvantage beacuse they require constant proximity to the reader, and emit info in bursts, not a constant stream of data. I suppose you could rig them to work if they get pinged once a min or something.

oo cant wait to make my DSS order.... but im gonna get the tcase upgrade to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
lots of $$ going to be spent there from me this summer.

Quote:
They're step 2 shafts. If you call them they will know which they are. I can also check the invoice for a part number when I get a chance.

What I was asking is: Are they the ABS versions or not. Is Cheekychimp keeping his ABS and 4 lugs or has he gone to a 5 lug? That what I meant. If you can find the part numbers that would be great to if he is keeping his ABS and 4 lug set up. Thanks.

cheekychimp

I'm keeping the 4 lug and ditching the ABS ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned