The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

stuck!!! bumper removal

seizer

ok i have taken off all the screws i can get to... i pulled up the removal diagram on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and tried searchin for a better layout of this process (which is probably simple) and still stuck.. in this picture i pulled off all screws and bolts i can see labeled in red.. on the light blue label i cant find out a good way to get these screws off..? do they even need to be unscrewed ?

help would be appreciated thanks, Eric

2 10 mm in fender wells on each side
1 10mm lower side of bumper on each side
take out the corner lights and get the 14mm nut behind each corner light
1 14mm on each side sticking straight up under the bumper its hard to explain but take your time and look for them.

You are probably missing the two 14mm. Lay flat on your back and look up under there and you will see them. Careful cause if all other bolts are off it will come down on you fairly easy.

Here

seizer

thanks it does seem like there is two parts thats still holding the bumper ill look harder... but do the screws labeled in blue need to come off and if so whats the easyiest way to get em off?

2of9

I too was stuck where you were too. I was having the issue exactly like yours and that's how my front bumper hung after I took out the "red" bolts, the front bumper felt as if it was bolted to the front bumper "frame" (it's late and I forget what that big steel piece is that hangs behind the front bumper)

Last edited:

raptorWagon

^You meant the bumper cover was still bolted to the bumper and it is. If you just trying to get the bumper cover off I found it easiest to take off everything together. To take off the bumper, you need to take off the trim piece below the head lights to get to the 14mm bolts holding the bumper on. I had to unbolt the horns to get to the two bolts on the outerside. There are a bunch of smaller, I want to say 10mm bolts holding along the top of bumper to the bumper cover. I'll see about taking some pics today for a better idea.

jepherz

Staff member
In summary, NO, the blue screws don't need to come off. Pull the whole bumper support off by removing those additional bolts you left on and worry about the actual bumper cover when the entire bumper support is off of the car.

seizer

thanks guys it was way easier than i thought i was pullin some screws off the cover then i sat and stared at it for a few then it all hit me.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned