The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Normal engine coolant operating temp?

After installing link v3 and all the other bolt-on's i've done, link show's that my temp is upwards of 216 degrees. I'm kinda worried that I have overheated my galant. I've searched and can't seem to find the normal operating temp. Each time I have started the car its just at idle and in my driveway and sometimes I revved it up and enabled the launch control just to get a datalog. I have removed all the unnecessary vac lines on the throttle body and plugged the ports. Can someone help me out? I'm just dying to get it on the road and this is the last thing thats holding me back.

Daniel

216 degrees is higher than it should be. The thermostat should be completely open at 203 and the fan should be turning on around 200.

The highest I'll see my car go is 204 before it goes back down.

Ok thanks. I'm gonna burp my system and see if there's any air in it and switch to a 160 or 180 thermostat. I might as well put the brand new radiator in as well.

turbowop

Leave the stock temp thermostat in it. Or get a new one rated the same as the stocker. Since you're in Alaska, a lower one would be bad during the winter, or any other time it's cold up there. If you end up running below 180, you'll suffer poor fuel mileage and lower heater temps. You have some issue with your cooling system, going to a lower thermostat is a band-aid fix.

Last edited:

The car is going to be a summer only/track car since we still have emission's BS. I removed all the emission's stuff. But I think the head gasket is blown, so I decided to just pull the motor to rebuild it and clean up the engine bay.

alansupra94

Wow. Before I could even ask my question, I found the answer.

Yesterday I basically was tuning my AEM and made a pull. It was quick since I was low on gas. Then I noticed that after parking, my upper radiator hose was bulging so I squeezed it and water came out of the hose connection that connected from the hose to the engine. I was like....I wonder what temperature the thermostat opens at and I hope it didn't just quit on me.

Then I realized at my logs, I wasn't even close to the right temperature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned