The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Greetings and switchable transfer cases

Hi, my name is Shaun. I'm from Lakeland, Florida. I'm pretty new to the forum but I've had my VR 4 for about 10 years. I'm afraid its been sitting for the past 3 or so but I'm working on changing that. I'm sorry I haven't contributed at all, despite my car being down. Anyway, after a swap, I got to hear her run a couple weeks ago, idles good but there's still a vacuum leak somewhere. Hope its not the new cyclone intake. My question is this, can I use a JDM switchable transfer case in a non switchable transmission, or a transmission without a welded center diff as long as the transfer case remains locked in 4wd. Such a t-case just popped up on my local Craigslist and I thought it would be worth it if I could pick it up for around 100 dollars. Any opinions on durability for these transfer cases would be appreciated also, I hear that switchable transmissions are weaker but not much is said about the T case. I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm very new at participating in forums, I'm limited to my phone or ps3. Thanks for the help and bearing with me.

Wizardawd

(1) Get a can of carb cleaner, spray around intake, etc while engine is running. You'll find the vac leak quickly.

(2) You can run a switchable T-case on a standard trans without a welded center or VC, but only in AWD mode. In FWD mode, you'll burn up a standard VC.

(3) The switchable Tcases are actually stronger since the shaft is a slightly thicker diameter. But, that is in theory.

Wiz

Thanks for the info, better news than I was expecting. I'll have to try and contact him tomorrow. Out of curiosity, I should be pulling about 16" of vacuum, right?

Wizardawd

At idle, 16 isn't bad, but 17-20 is more ideal. I'm assuming stock cams and you have the idle speed set correctly? Also make sure your throttle cable isn't too tight.

Wiz

turbowop

At 1100ft ASL, I get pull about 18in/hg in 503. Kind of surprising considering it's compression numbers aren't exactly stellar. 1051 is another story since it has cams.

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like he sold the switchable transfer case, but he's still got a standard 22 Spline I'll probably pick up. I'll have to keep an eye out for others in the future, sounds like a cool option.

4wheelsqueal

I've got a switchable collecting dust in the corner. You interested? I have no use for it with my galant fleet gone.

I apologize for my delay, I could be interested, what do you think it would cost me shipped? Like I mentioned above, I have limited internet access, and I don't have a Pay Pal account or anything. I just have my debit card, so I' not sure how that would work.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned