The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GGSX rack and pinion

James

Since nobody has been able to give me a concrete 100% yes or no, I'm going to go order a FWD rack and pinion today for my galant. When it comes in I'll take pictures of it and my AWD rack and show any differences, and I'll post about the install.

James

"can I use a FWD galant rack on my AWD galant" and if so, why does the AWD galant rack even exist, and why is it twice as expensive.

EgonOlsen

Aint the AWD rack for cars with 4WS?
For a non 4WS car I dont see the point, FWD or 4WD rack should be the same.

James

That's what I thought. But when I call places for parts the first one that comes up for a 1990 Galant GSX is the AWD rack. And they didn't come with 4WS to my knowledge.

KT

Are you planning on keeping the rear steer or deleting it? If you are deleting it, a 1G steering rack works.

James

Galant GSX doesn't have rear steering. And I know the 1g rack works. But does a 1g fwd rack work?

KT

The confusing part of this thread is that you are asking GVR4 owners about parts that may or may not fit a GGSX. So you have a GGSX and want to know about part fitment?

When I first read the thread I thought you were asking about fitting a GGSX steering rack to a GVR4, since this is a GVR4 forum. Next time, a better explanation will get you better answers.

you guys are making this to complicated the question is will a fwd rack work in an awd car???

James

Finally Someone with an IQ higher than a lugnut. FWD rack is in my garage going in tomorrow.

James

Define "work"...

What happened was they gave me a rack for a galant GSR. The GSR has an assisted steering option you can turn on and off. This obviously has a place to plug into the rack to change the pressure. Well seeing as I have a GSX and don't have that option I had to first research what this was for, then find a a way to plug it.

Long story short , it's plugged, capped, clamped, and everything else, shut. It hasn't leaked yet but the power steering just isn't right. It works, but I see myself changing the rack again in the not so distant future.

James

Yes the FWD part worked just fine, everything was identical except the screw up with getting a GSR rack

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts