The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fp2 vs hks 272

GSX_TC

Lol I don't even care anymore, I was just trying to help out the op like you said. Someone said something about FP2 cams and lope, so I showed a Vid of how they are on my car. How they compare to against other cams is everyone elses opinion.

Happy B-day btw

Quoting DynastyLCD:
Quoting GSX_TC:
Yes but what your failing to realize is that what you said just now, is still "what the Internet says" because your just saying it. I actually have "real life" video of my FP2 cams in action which speaks more then the whole "based on my experience" internet talk.

so, with that being said, my experience of running FP2's, then changing them out for HKS 272's, is null and void, because i have no videos? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i dont think thats a good statement to make at all. just for that, im gonna pick on you here for a second, Mike. video or no video, the HKS 272's lope more than the FP2's back to back in the same setup with zero changes other than the cams. you could also argue about the tune as well, as you can tune some of the lope in/out by the idle AFR mixture. but that's not the important part of the story. the HKS 272's made a bit more power over the FP2's, however adding a slight bit of lag. that's what were after there. i don't spend my time making videos of how my car sounds. but i do spend my time trying new parts and combinations to achieve peak power. which is what the OP was trying to get at, IMO.

but seriously... why are we even arguing about how much lope what cam has? this is GVR4.org... not tuners. we should be trying to help the OP use the best cams for his application. so saying as i was running an FP3052 at the time, roughly in the same range of airflow, i found the HKS 272's to be better than the FP2's for my setup. then again, i was more concerned with overall power.

Last edited:

turbowop

I'm not sure your car is the standard that everybody should base cam opinions on anyway, Mike. You haven't had a full tune done by yourself or anybody else have you? Nor have I seen any numbers in the form of dyno or track time. I'm going to go with Dynasty on this one and say that any difference in lope on your car is probably based on the tune, or lack thereof.

And yeah, worrying about how lopey certain cams are is silly. As long as they make power where needed, who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thecman02

A friend of mine trapped 2mph more 130 vs 128 going from fp2's to hks272's. He then got a custom grind and ended up at 134mph. Based off those results I'd say the HKS makes a little more power up top. This was on an auto 1g car with 1g head and Hawver Intake Manifold.

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:
I'm not sure your car is the standard that everybody should base cam opinions on anyway, Mike. You haven't had a full tune done by yourself or anybody else have you? Nor have I seen any numbers in the form of dyno or track time. I'm going to go with Dynasty on this one and say that any difference in lope on your car is probably based on the tune, or lack thereof.

And yeah, worrying about how lopey certain cams are is silly. As long as they make power where needed, who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah I still haven't even tuned it yet, so that's probably why it sounds real lopey.

snohacking

I decided to keep my fp2 and sell off my hks 272. They are now for sale if anyone is interested check my for sale ad.

cheekychimp

Quoting TheEvoZero:
As for the head talk, all I have to base this off of is changes I've had to make to tunes after installing a 2g head. It asks for more fuel in the majority of the power band. The engine is getting quite a bit more air flow, thus requiring more fuel. I really don't understand how bottle necking the intake ports is suppose to help. Unless it acts as a velocity stack, in which case, more power to you. I would personally rather run a complete 2g setup, since I KNOW it works.

Well that is genuine experience and valid. Obviously it requires more fuel for a reason. I'd really like to try a full 2G or EVO III setup to compare it and see if it is just as good or better. As for why this setup works so well, I'm not sure. The JDM cyclone dual runner intake does increase velocity below 4000 rpms. I'm using a JDM ECU that was reflashed for the HKS MAF and the higher compression pistons, but I have no idea on the maps so I couldn't tell you what fueling or timing is like compared to a USDM 2G car. Perhaps my car needs more fuel as well and I just don't know it!

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what works for the individual but having heard this discussion a number of times I'd really like to try a full 2G car as I said or even try different heads on the dyno to see what sort of figures they produce. One thing I have noticed with this setup is better fuel economy and a really clean burn, the engine was super clean when we took the head off last. Maybe I am running a touch lean and am just really lucky that it isn't knocking so I'm making some power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned