The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Failing turbo seals... A few q's

Rallytimebitches

So the car never smokes which surprises me, but a lot of oil is getting pushed past the seals. I have a few questions:

Can I still drive on this in vac?
How much longer do I have?
If it fails fully, will it compromise the motor?

Thanks.:cheers:

-tyler

Rallytimebitches

To clarify, the catch can has been drained and disconnected and the line recirculating to the intake was disconnected to rule out blow by. The only place this can be coming from is the turbo. I'm sure the intercooler is full of oil too, but the strange part is that the car doesn't smoke. Not even under boost. What do you guys think?

coyotes

Weird place for the oil to flow to though, usually goes the other way. I guess this leaks out when the car is sitting?

If there's no noise coming from the turbo I'd plan for a rebuild or run it till it makes noise. I wouldn't run it past that point though.

manikbastrd

Putting new seals in your turbo is cheap and easy. Please understand that this is not the same as rebuilding your turbo. To truly rebuild your turbo, you need to take it completely apart, clean everything thoroughly, polish the shaft(lol) and have it balanced again. If you want your turbo to last for years, this is the only way to do it right.

Having said all that. You can probably run it for a while. It will only get worse though, since you are not holding oil pressure where you should, and every time you hit boost, you are wearing the shaft and bearings more and more. Just going around town, your turbo is seeing temps of up to 1200 degrees. When you are in boost, 1600+ degrees. Not to mention that it is spinning at hundreds of thousands of RPMs. You run the risk of getting metal into your oil system, which then feeds right back into your oil pan and can produce spun rod and main bearings. IMHO it is not worth it to run a known bad turbo. Just my $.02, hopefully it helps...also keep in mind I am super conservative with these kinds of things.

Rallytimebitches

Awesome I really appreciate your advice. Lots of people think it's that the catch can isn't working properly but it's disconnected from the intake so the oil obviously cannot be coming from the catch can. The only place it can be from is the turbo... So I have some work to do :/

manikbastrd

Well, it could be oil from the intake, I would clean it up really good and disconnect your vent tube and catch can from the intake just to be sure, but If it is the seals, everything above applies.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts