The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car runs rough with MAF plugged in (a known good MAF)

CAFIFTY

Yeah i used VFAQ and did the whole process for the BISS and idle switch. Car will idle at 750 but it moves around a bit and sounds like its going to die. I wish i had a logger. I am going to try to make one, it would make this 100 times easier.

James

If I wasn't getting ready to go on a 3,000 mile road too is send you my logging setup till you get your problem worked out!

I do suggest picking up a setup though. Best money spent.

CAFIFTY

Changed knock sensor. Still the same. Changed CAS and set timing to +5 per the vfaq procedure: nothing changed. Change the coil pack (which is stupid hard to get out: nothing changed. :
Pinned out MAF:
Pin 1: 11.7v
Pin 2: 5v
Pin 3: 11.7v
Pin 4: 5v
Pin 5: nothing there
Pin 6: 50 ohms?
Pin 7: 0v
Pin 8: 0v

Not sure what to expect out of 7 and 8. 50 ohms seemed high for 6...

I should state that after i did the boost check and sealed some things up the car was able to idle with the MAF in and drive in WOT conditions with the MAF in. But surges like crazy in part throttle/vacuum. Maybe i have a leak upstream of my TB.

Last edited:

CAFIFTY

Built the logger cable and it wont connect using the TMO logger via my laptop/com port. Out of frustration I pour a thing of seafoam injector cleaner in the car. Drives even worse now. Can barely make it out of the driveway. Ugh i hate this car.

BpuVR4

i feel your pain man. how did you put together your cable?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting CAFIFTY:
Built the logger cable and it wont connect using the TMO logger via my laptop/com port. Out of frustration I pour a thing of seafoam injector cleaner in the car. Drives even worse now. Can barely make it out of the driveway. Ugh i hate this car.

Did you change your spark plugs after this ??
You'll have to get a logger up and running before moving any further.

CAFIFTY

Yeah, this is really hard without a logger. If I could see fuel trims/tps/MAF signals it would make life so much easier.

After posting this i pulled my TPS off and check the ohms closed and opened.

Closed
Pin 1 to 4: 4.7k ohms
Pin 2 to 4: 0.9k ohms

Open
Pin 2 to 4: 4.8k ohms

The open reading is a little low but nothing ridiculous.

Back to the logger.
Has anyone used the TMO logger software on a laptop and built their own cable? I am not using a null modem because I have a DB9 COM port on my laptop. I built my wire based off this schematic which was for the MMcd logger. I figured its the same though..

CAFIFTY

Maybe this problem was a gift. I just stumbled across tunerpro , there is no way this can be as good as it clams. If so i am selling my AEM that is collecting dust.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

im waiting to use this as soon as i finish my own cable setup, looks promising.

thecman02

Hey sorry I haven't saw this post or I'd help you out. Are you actually in Kalamazoo? I have a known good logging cable. I was using it with my old palm but the serial to palm cable got worn out and the battery in the palm keeps a charge for about 30 minutes max. I ended up getting ECMlink about the time that all started happening too because burning chips became a nuisance.

Last edited:

CAFIFTY

Finally got time to work on this again. Turns out I am dyslectic and pined my cord backwords. TMO and TunerPro RT work with the cord.

Here are the things that stuck out:

At idle (and everywhere) the 02 sensor read 0.02v (lean as hell) but i think it might not be functioning correctly (should be switching).

ECT was reading correctly in TMO but was reading 120 degrees higher when viewing it TunerPro RT. I think i read somewhere that the ECT sensor is different in the VR4 then in other DSMs so i have concerns that the talon ECU i swapped in is confused?

Idle switch never goes high.

FTL FTM and FTH are all reading near 1. I am assuming these are fuel trims and i would assume if the 02 sensor was really reading 0.02V all the time the fuel trims would start adding fuel. But it might be stuck in open loop

So i am starting to think that my fuel pump is bad in addition to my 02 sensor. Tell me what you think

Last edited:

460GVR4

I've replaced/checked/tested every electrical component on my vr4 and still have issues.. Don't feel so bad bro. My car is cursed garunteed.

CAFIFTY

Had some time to mess with the car again today. Fuel pressure turned out good (maybe a little high). I unplugged the o2 sensor and the seemed to run better. This made me think one of the fuel injectors might be messed up. I pulled plugs one at a time and found one that didnt seem to make a difference when unplugged. Pulled the fuel injector and found that one was clogged...

mitsuturbo

Well, if the ECU came out of a DSM..

It didn't come out of an auto DSM, did it? I mean, they only run 390cc injectors with that little TD04, instead of 450's. Dunno if that could be an issue, but it's worth investigating.

Also, how's the timing? Nothing is off a tooth? T-Belt is all lined up right? CAS is tight and set properly? No adj. cam gears that have slipped?

91Vr4white

It has to be mass air related. As stated before it could be a connection issue. Check the pins make sure they are not loose. My guess would be its not the correct mass air for the injectors.

CAFIFTY

So today i dropped my fuel tank to find its full of rust. My injectors and fuel filter were clogged again (i put about 50 miles on it since i changed them. Going to take it to a local fuel tank repair place and replace the lines

tektic

Whats the part number of the ecu your using?
Is your ISC Functioning properly?
Besides your ect everything else is normal?
Did your o2 sensor start working after fixing fuel deliver system?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned