The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 GGSX DD Edition

1990GSXNA

My wife said a box heavy box came in today, I told her to take pics for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I still have this question about the rear balance shaft delete.
So if I get the stubby shaft I would only have to remove and turn the front bearing? Because the balance shaft has an oil hole that feeds the rear bearing correct? So that one can be left alone? I'm just slightly confused about how the bearing work, mainly because I don't have an engine in a stand in front of me.

prove_it

You need to rotate the rear bearing 180 to block the oil hole. If you don't you'll lose oil pressure and starve the head. When I did mine, I used blue loctite on it to be safe. You can leave the front shaft in, but to do it right the front comes out and you need to block the oil hole there too.

1990GSXNA

I have decided against doing the BSE and will go about a full timing belt service.

Different question now, are these fluid capacities the same for the GGSX? click
I will use redline 75w-90, based upon the consensus on here that redline is very good. Since this will be a daily, but I will drive this car somewhat hard occasionally, should I use shockproof in the t-case and rear? If so lightweight or heavyweight? Or will I be okay with just the 75w-90 in there?

I'm trying to go as cheap as possible, but I am not going to sacrifice reliability for cheapness. Any tips to do full maintenance on the cheap? My wifes already mad at me for going over budget, but I keep finding more stuff I will need or it wont make it to AZ. My list of what i need is not finished but its getting close.
Off the top of my head I have:
-timing belt (OEM pulley's with gates belts)
-full fluids
-axles (front)
-tune up
-fuel filter
-air filter
-evo 8 suspension
-water pump (Aisin WPM-012)
-brakes
-alignment
Worst part about is I cant check to see if it really check if it needs anything else. I cant think of anything else I will need or if I already have it on my list or not. Any other suggestions, and is there something I should pay close attention to? Just want a few more opinions before I start buying parts.

Mods will come soon after I get this running good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

prove_it

Do you really need to do the axles right now?

1990GSXNA

I'm not sure which axle I need but when turning at low speeds, the axle makes a grinding noise. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side, and I haven't gotten a chance to get under and look at it yet so I cannot verify if I need passenger or driver. Also the previous owner said it needs axle work. It could possibly be a wheel bearing because breaking at high speed I get a slight vibration in the pedal.

prove_it

That would be the rear rotors being warped. Need to have them machined. I was wondering on the axles and if you HAD to do them now.

1990GSXNA

I am going to do new brakes all around pads/rotors, that will fix the vibrations, and I'll have all new brakes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I could wait on them if I wasn't moving to Arizona and had a 13 hour road trip ahead of me. As well as I don't really want to drive with the axle making the grinding noise during slow speed turns. It feels more like a binding than grinding sound and I would rather not have that for any longer than I have to.

1990GSXNA

Update:

I finally got the chance to work On the car after months of being away, I've gotten everything on my list done except the timing belt. I have hit a road block and I'm not sure what to do. I have the timing belt off and Im working on getting the balance shaft belt off. I have taken off the bolt that holds on the crank sprocket, but I cannot get the sprocket off to take off the belt. I also took of the balance shaft tensioner so the belt is loose. Is there something else I need to do? I read that it should simply fall off after the bolt is taken out. I followed the 1g vfaq and didn't skip any steps.
This is where I'm at, I can't take off the sprocket. Any tips on how to get it off?

prove_it

Do you have a slide hammer or access to one?

1990GSXNA

Got it off! Used a harmonic balancer tool and just slid a screwdriver in the middle and yanked the sucker off!

prove_it

Yep, pretty much what I was going to suggest. They tend to do that. I always take some scotch brite to clean off the crank snout so it's all very clean before reinstalling. Of course now in days I have it apart so often that it never has time to get tight.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned