The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey. Login to browse without most ads.

Shifting Question, when downshifting it’s pretty smooth but upshifting gets a little clunky/notchy.

ConnorR8

My vr4 trans feels pretty good on the down shifts but very notchy up shifts. The trans probably has about 1k on it after rebuild. Just changed the oil with LIQUI MOLY 75w-90 and still no difference. I’ve gone through and checked that the clutch was fully disengaging(engages about 1-2inch off floor not sure if that’s good, was thinking of getting a new slave rod that was longer made up)and adjusted based on Jacks info on website(TRE did the trans). A dragging clutch would still cause notchy down shifts also, so kinda ruled that out? Would shifter cables do this? I’ve looked and messed with them and they feel pretty solid(bushings have been replaced with solid ones in cables and shifter). Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated since it’s driving me insane. Thanks

gvr4ever

You can also check cable alignment at the shifter. With the shifter in the middle, the eyes that have the pins on them are adjustable. If you lift them up and let them back down, they should align up perfectly. You can adjust them in or out.
Another thought, make sure you didn't miss any transmission bolts. I know one is in the back near the top, and it can be missed. Maybe double check the torque on all the bolts too. I agree, it doesn't sound a like a synchro or clutch release issue.

JNR

Did you flush the old clutch (brake) fluid out completely? Also, how is the slave cylinder (as far as age/condition, etc.)?

gvr4ever

What clutch are you using? I know it's only been a few days, but the hydraulic system doesn't seem to like overly heavy clutches. The fact that you can down shift, okay doesn't seem to be a clutch release issue, but what clutch are you using? I have historical knowledge that the ACT 2100 is pretty easy peasy, but the ACT 2600 has a history of being a bitch. My own personal knowledge and loads of post from other users. Just curious of what clutch you are running.

ConnorR8

What clutch are you using? I know it's only been a few days, but the hydraulic system doesn't seem to like overly heavy clutches. The fact that you can down shift, okay doesn't seem to be a clutch release issue, but what clutch are you using? I have historical knowledge that the ACT 2100 is pretty easy peasy, but the ACT 2600 has a history of being a bitch. My own personal knowledge and loads of post from other users. Just curious of what clutch you are running.
It’s a south bend full face ceramic endurance kit without the flywheel since it’s OEM. It’s still acting like it’s having a tough time possibly grinding a little like I can’t hear it but kinda feel it struggling a little. I will check the shifter linkage too, talked with TRE and he said everything sounds like the clutch is engaging/disengaging correctly. But is seems like shifting from 1st to 2nd is the worst being that is 2nd to 3rd but after that it seems smooth. So maybe it’s the linkage.
Thanks for the inputs!

Last edited:

holeshotmoe

+1 on the cable adjustments. I put in a 2g gearbox, with the cables still adjusted for the factor trans. I had trouble shifting, as one of the cables was putting constant pressure on one of the trans shift arms. This made it difficult for the shifter to slip smoothly into gear. I think it was the one that pushes fwd/rev, not the one that goes up/down. It happened again when I swapped back the 1G version, so I had to adjust them again. I shifted the trans into neutral with the cables off, positioned the shifter in the middle, then checked where the cables were relative the trans shift levers, adjusting cable lengths to make them drop on to the arms.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings