The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey. Login to browse without most ads.

1989 RHD Galant VR4 Brakes Needed

VE1337

Hello everyone, I am new to using forums so I apologize if I’m in the wrong place.

Front brakes are frozen in an 89 AWD and hoping someone can point me in the right direction of pads, rotors, and calipers.

Since it’s an 89 and an import, find parts online is proving a bit of a challenge.

Any one got any good places to start? Thank you!!

Along Vr4

Hello everyone, I am new to using forums so I apologize if I’m in the wrong place.

Front brakes are frozen in an 89 AWD and hoping someone can point me in the right direction of pads, rotors, and calipers.

Since it’s an 89 and an import, find parts online is proving a bit of a challenge.

Any one got any good places to start? Thank you!!
Have Picture?

gvr4ever

Does the 89 have duel piston fronts? All the sources I've found, the US is pretty much out of stock, but the 3000GT SL front brakes fit US spec Galant VR4s. As stated, you can upgrade, but will need 17" wheels to clear the 3KGT-VR4 brakes. Not sure about the EVOs.

r4pt0x

That's not a valid VIN. What market was that car destined for?

E39A turbos usually had the 2-piston calipers with 275mm discs. Part numbers for calipers are MB699450/MB699451 (L/R), discs MB618340 (replaced with MB895098) and the caliper supports are MB618218. The Sigma also had the same brakes, at least all DOHC variants, some of the cheaper SOHC variants had a smaller brake.
You can easily upgrade that brake to the 294mm variant by using the larger supports e.g. from the Outlander CW0+ (CU0 also had the 275mm front brakes). The Calipers from all Outlanders are also basically the same 2-piston calipers, except depending on the exact generation they don't have a banjo screw for the brake lines, so you'd need custom brake lines (e.g. from goodridge).
The ASX (Outlander Sport for MMNA) 2.2l Diesel 4WD Auto (don't know if this was sold in the US) also had the 2-piston calipers and IIRC they had a banjo bolt and the 294mm discs. Can't remember if the caliper supports will fit the bolt pattern on the Galant, Mitsubishi increased the distance between the bolts for the bigger brake variants at some time.

VE1337

Does the 89 have duel piston fronts? All the sources I've found, the US is pretty much out of stock, but the 3000GT SL front brakes fit US spec Galant VR4s. As stated, you can upgrade, but will need 17" wheels to clear the 3KGT-VR4 brakes. Not sure about the EVOs.
Thank you!!

VE1337

Yes, 1G AWD turbo uses the same brakes. The exception might be the limited run 1st year that had some different bits. Still, I couldn't find those in stock.
The problem I’m running into is that my car is an import JDM 4 lug wheel and US Galants and other that are alike are 5 lug. I’m told that’s a big difference and will not match up. Thoughts?

VE1337

E39A turbos usually had the 2-piston calipers with 275mm discs. Part numbers for calipers are MB699450/MB699451 (L/R), discs MB618340 (replaced with MB895098) and the caliper supports are MB618218. The Sigma also had the same brakes, at least all DOHC variants, some of the cheaper SOHC variants had a smaller brake.
You can easily upgrade that brake to the 294mm variant by using the larger supports e.g. from the Outlander CW0+ (CU0 also had the 275mm front brakes). The Calipers from all Outlanders are also basically the same 2-piston calipers, except depending on the exact generation they don't have a banjo screw for the brake lines, so you'd need custom brake lines (e.g. from goodridge).
The ASX (Outlander Sport for MMNA) 2.2l Diesel 4WD Auto (don't know if this was sold in the US) also had the 2-piston calipers and IIRC they had a banjo bolt and the 294mm discs. Can't remember if the caliper supports will fit the bolt pattern on the Galant, Mitsubishi increased the distance between the bolts for the bigger brake variants at some time.
Thanks for that great info!! And no, that is not a VIN but it is the only number on the import paperwork that can be used as a VIN. I’m most likely going to upgrade down the road, but ultimately trying to keep as stock as possible. Thanks again for the reply!

CharvelGrinder

The problem I’m running into is that my car is an import JDM 4 lug wheel and US Galants and other that are alike are 5 lug. I’m told that’s a big difference and will not match up. Thoughts?
US galants were 4lug as well. A lot of owners do a five lug swap. Better wheel options. Are you not able to do a rebuild? They have the pistons and rebuilt kits available on rock auto. Just look under a 91 or 92 2.0 turbo. With a little bit of research I was able to find that the jdm 89 and onward came with a bigger brake as opposed to the 265mm pre 89. So you should have the same 276mm set up up front that the US version got.

Last edited:

VE1337

You may have to research to see if lhd vr4 will fit. You can alway upgrade to 3kgt or evos with adapters and different rotors.
Thank you for the reply. Having a time finding dual piston and 4 lug calipers. Trying to keep stock, but will change to 5 lug if it makes work easier in the future.

nazagalant1993

Thanks for that great info!! And no, that is not a VIN but it is the only number on the import paperwork that can be used as a VIN. I’m most likely going to upgrade down the road, but ultimately trying to keep as stock as possible. Thanks again for the reply!
Today I will look up the OEM part numbers for your calipers at Mitsubishi ASA. and we confirm if they are compatible with e39a

VE1337

To Everyone who replied,
Guys and Girls thank you so much!! I was really worried about being a noob and catching grief, but you all have been so informative and helpful. I’ve actually pulled both front calipers and decided to go with the rebuild kit (MB699450/1).

Down the road we will most likely do the 5 lug conversion, so stand by for more inquiries and questions from us.

Again, thank you all so much!!

Ray-Ray

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The 4 lug/5 lug hubs do not make the brakes different. The knuckles themselves are identical. The differences are found in the ABS rotor and the mounting of it. Also of course the brake disc/rotor itself is also different, but should match the wheel bolt pattern of the hub.

Finding the right caliper to match yours (which you seem to have done now with a rebuild kit) is the key.

VE1337

Correct, not a US VIN. It is imported straight from Japan. That it what the dmv in WA used as a vin.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts