The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator Fan Shroud NLA

idreamidrive

The radiator fan shroud is discontinued and NLA, part# MB605113, which sucks as mine has decided to disintegrate on me. The section nearest the turbo seriously feels like foam and breaks off like foam.
Dorman sells the whole thing, fan balde, shround, and motor, but the reviews aren't the best on it. Dorman part number is 620-327. Has anyone bought one? If the fan motor goes to crap, would the OE fan motor fit in it's place? Should I be looking at different aftermarket part that shrouds the whole radiator? Car currently cools fine, but living in the "South" isn't doing it any favors.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have no experience with the Dorman part in question, but I will just offer that the stock fan likely would not fit without some modification. Motor size, shaft length and fan blade design will all likely vary.

Eztoril

You can try to find a Hyundai one that fits. Research will be needed to figure out which one you can use from an elantra or sonata or other models. I would just cut the wires and wire into the factory vr4 harness. If you do find one make sure you get the connector also. Let us know if you find a oem fan w/shroud that fits?

Other option is just to buy a spal fan which is available with a slim fit option and they work great. I use a spal without a shroud and it does the job very well.

Eztoril

Looking through other threads about the cooling fan, I ran across one that mentions someone using a fan assembly from a 99-05 Hyundai accent. I'll look for it again and link it here.

cooling fan with 4" intake

Last edited:

Why not a decent used one? I think 88-93 Galant with DOHC motor should all be the same.

AllanL

even the ones from the 92~96 mirage/colts should fit...

idreamidrive

Quoting 467:
Why not a decent used one? I think 88-93 Galant with DOHC motor should all be the same.

There are not many out there anymore, but I am looking. There was one at a junkyard about an hour away, but I never had free time without the kids to go grab parts off of it. Called yesterday and they crushed it.

kooter

I made the mistake of ordering the motor blade and shroud from mitsu many many years ago. motor was like 396 dollars if I recall corretly. have it assembled somewhere in my garage. never installed in on the car. if your interested I can try to find the one that was on the car and see what kind of condition it is in. I believe it had a small piece broken off of it.

idreamidrive

Quoting thomcasey:
Fixed the link. CLICK

I know that there is aftermarket, that wasn't my question. My question was really would the OE motor and maybe blade fit in the aftermarket one as those are still good on my car, just in case the aftermarket one takes a crap. I like to have spares...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts