The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Guys, I need help (shifting issues)

diambo4life

I have had my VR4 for around 6 years now and I simply can't remember been able to bang gears. I have had lockout issues for years....very frustrating. This is on different trannies, different clutches, different slaves, clutch MC. It currently has a new O'reillys slave and MC. The clutch is correctly adjusted, releases at least 2" off the floor. Shifts perfectly on the street but just will not go into gears fast when I rip on it. It currently has a ACT3200 in it with a solid 6 puck from California Clutch formerly ClutchNet. I haven't done the drag test on this setup yet. The fulcrum ball has been shimmed. Suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My car has been making north of 700awhp for 4 years now and I can't run quicker than an 11.2 due to trans issues. Help me before I go to the dark (auto) side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS: I was at SCT takeover this past weekend and I couldn't even roll race. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

From personal experience, I can say you'll never be able to get the ACT to shift great at high RPM without a decent amount of modification to the entire clutch system (to include modding the fulcrum points on the pedal and such). Hit up Kurt or Donnie , as they are probably the most knowledgable on the topic, and have both successfully made the ACT work by making various modifications to the system. I've asked each of them for specifics on what needed to be done, but never got an in-depth answer, so I'd also be curious to know.

As someone who has had your exact issue, I dicked with the ACT setup I had in 1837 extensively trying to get it to shift. 3 transmissions, new flywheel, pressure plates, shifter cables, pivot ball, clutch fork, etc, etc. Nothing I could find that was available off the shelf made that clutch shift. I finally got fed up and swapped to a twin disc, which shifts like butter. Everything else in the system stayed the same, just ditched the ACT for QM twin and suddenly the car shifts better than it ever did.

TBH, the twin disc sucks ass to drive on the street, but I'll take the clean shifts and deal with harsh clutch. Just be aware, the twin is less than ideal for something you need to drive on a consistent basis. Some people say they are streetable, but it's all subjective.

If you're set on sticking with the ACT, hit up Kurt or Donnie, they can get you on the right track. For a 700hp car, I think a twin would be the way to go, IMO. They hold the power, and shift great; both of which would be top priorities if my car was making that kind of power.

Last edited:

diambo4life

Thanks for your input Brett. I chat with Kurt occasionally online and he usually gives me solid info. Will pick his brain a bit on this.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts