The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

226/1000 Mild Restoration Build

bobbybdemented

First off, my name is Robert. I have been a fan of the GVR4 since I was a kid.
I have owned 226/1000 for a few years now, working on it from time to time when I am not working on my other projects. The car has been sitting for awhile because it developed a coolant leak and the Original Owner parked it. The car is a One Owner.

Things I have done so far:

Replaced pretty much the whole cooling system and freeze plugs
Rebuilt injectors and cleaned fuel system
Installed new intake and throttle body gaskets
Some cleaning and detailing

So the plan is/was to go through the car and "fix whats broken" (there's not much broken) and resale it. So as you can see from the Pictures I have started tearing down the car to rebuild the brakes and front end. Also going to get the AC working too. Just basic stuff.

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

Oem Parts I have been collecting and some that the previous owner had stored in the trunk. I try to use oem parts when they are available.

Last edited:

bobdole

Thanks for sharing. Looks good

bobbybdemented

So today I vacuumed down the AC system to check for leaks and it looks like there is a small leak from the valve on the compressor. I have complete O ring kit for the AC system I will tear apart the system and clean it, replace the dryer and oil it. I also did some more detailing in the engine bay.

Keeping with the " If it Ain't broke don't fix it" plan. I checked the rack and pinion for leaks and did not see any so I installed the tie rods and put new bellows on it. The original owner took very good care of this car.

I also replaced the outer cover on the driver side CV axle.

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

Been busy with other things but I got the brakes rebuilt and disassembled the struts and springs. The struts were definitely blown, as you can tell from the picture. I also dropped the gas tank.

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

So I decided to pull the head to take a look inside to see if the head needed to be rebuilt. To my surprise it looks like the head had been recently rebuilt. They also used stainless steal valves which are nice. Looks like a local speed shop named F.I.S.T Racing Rebuilt the head since they in craved there name on it.

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

Got the head cleaned and put back together. I also put a new exhaust manifold on it because the other one was cracked. And I order some 3G Revised Lifters.

While the head was off I cleaned all the AC lines and installed new O rings. I also installed a New AC Compressor. Looks like it would have been a bitch to do with intake in the way.

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

Been putting around and got all the engine pretty much put back together. I have the New front suspension together but not torqued down yet. I also starting fitting the new Head Unit. Looks like I am going to have to put a trim ring around it.

bobdole

Looks real good. Thanks for sharing the progress.

bobbybdemented

So I am starting to see the finish line on this project and pretty excited to drive it.
Today, I replaced the expansion valve on the evaporator and vacuumed down the AC system and checked for leaks. I also installed a aftermarket EVO 3 aluminum radiator, OEM hoses and a Spal Fan. I wanted to upgraded the cooling system because of this SE Texas Heat!

Last edited:

bobbybdemented

Finally got it on the ground and took it for a test drive. Runs Great and the AC blows nice and cold. Just got a few more things to do before she goes up for sale.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts