The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1607 Destroyed in Structure Fire Yesterday - Need Valuation Advice

abikepeddler

I don't even know where to start with this post... I'm just gutted. I attended the Radwood 2 car event in Aneheim this past Saturday and then returned home at 6pm and stored the car in my fathers empty garage. 8 1/2 hours later, at 2:30am, the garage, along with 5 of my vehicles were incinerated in the fire. http://www.cbs8.com/story/36982701/man-caretaker-rescued-from-del-mar-house-fire

THANK GOD my father and his caretaker had only minor injuries and in the long view, that is all that matters. The garage was a detached affair so the main residence has only minor smoke damage and should be inhabitable in the next week or so.

I however am not fine. I am inconsolable. Devastated. Besides VR-4 #1607 (located in the middle garage) being destroyed, I lost a 375hp mid-engine RWD Austin Mini, and my 1965 Mercedes-Benz 230SL. This last car was the same car I came home from the hospital 50 years ago when I was brought into this world and to celebrate it's 50 years in our family I gave it a gift earlier this year when Petrolicious did a story on the car and it's connection to our family. https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-mercedes-benz-230sl-has-been-family-owned-for-50-years

The reason I am telling you all about this is two fold... 1) You VR-4 loving dorks are the only one's that can understand my pain. My friends and family have been great but they do not understand what it is like to bring a car back from the dead or to maintain and improve a vehicle. The only people that can understand are TRUE "car people" and anyone that even knows was a GVR4 is are certified car people. This is really the only place to share the ceaseless pain I feel as well as to thank all of you for all your recent help in getting #1607 to the level that it could be displayed at a car event like Radwood. Without all of your assistance that would have never happened. The car had but 311 miles on it since the work was completed prior to the fires consummation. And that brings me to the second reason I am posting this...

In preparation of fighting the insurance company (Geico) over the vehicles value I wanted the opinion of all you experts on GVR-4 values. With this data I can then at least argue the "real" street value of the vehicle rather then have the insurance company tell me that "Kelly Blue Book" values the vehicle at $_ _ _ _ when we all know that the real street value for a clean, well kept VR4 can be well north of KBB.

So here is the low down on the car at the time of the fire. (Pardon if my tears ruin your keyboard..)

1991 Galant VR-4 #1607
Color: Belize Green
Mileage: 222,880
Condition: 8.5 out of 10 (90% original paint, original engine and trans)

Just completed a 8 month tear down of drivetrain and suspension including the following...
Replaced cracked trans bell housing
New brake rotors/pads
New outer tie rod ends
New CV joint boots front and rear
New Centerforce clutch
New clutch slave cyl
New stainless braided clutch slave hydro line
New strut hats
New fuel filter
New fuel filler hose from cap to fuel tank
New engine oil and filter
New Trans oil
New Transfer case oil
New Diff oil
New headlights
New front grill
New front turn signal lens
New windshield washer nozzles
New LED interior, door and trunk bulbs
New H&R blue srings
New TE37 replica wheels and tires
New 7 speaker touchscreen stereo with Navigation and backup camera

There is more but you get the idea.

So I am looking for opinions on real street value. Here are some pictures.

transparentdsm

Looks like a 7-9k car to me. If motor was ever rebuilt more.

Also I have no words for this, just so so sorry and so glad your Dad is ok.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Wow, that is sad man. Looked really clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

MellowVR4

Sad sad sad, not cool this happened to a clean vr4! I would be as bummed as you are about this whole situation. Sorry for your loss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

abikepeddler

Quoting transparentdsm:

Engine was rebuilt 47,000 miles ago. 16G turbo, intake, freer flowing exhaust work... Trans was smooth and car still had working 4WS, A/C and cruise control. It was a really nice 3 owner car purchased off BAT August of 2016. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mitsubishi-galant-vr4/

Once I got a hold of the car that is when it got a lot nicer. Car already was rust and accident free but I always take my cars to another level. Car was not perfect, some door dings and stone chips to the hood but compared to most, it was certainly a good example.

Nebraska

That’s pretty freaking sad. I hope your battle with the insurance company favors you in the end. Geico can really suck when it comes to having your back, I’m getting ready to go back to progressive myself.

Your work can’t be replaced and neither can your ultra rare Mercedes...any ideas bouncing around for your next toy? (Too soon?)

abikepeddler

The only "toy" I had in the garage was a Honda PCX150 scooter. The rest of the cars were heirloom level stuff to me. Yes, even the VR-4. The VR-4 was purchased for my son as his first car... a car he could learn to wrench on and improve over time but an unfortunate incident led to the car being pulled from the road and the crazy dad (me) tearing the whole thing apart and bringing it up to the level it was at up an until the fire. The other cars were family members. A hand fabricated mid engine Mini, the 230SL (a.k.a. "Little Mercedes"). Hell, even the Honda Ridgeline I also lost in the fire had dragged me through so many Snowboarding/Fly Fishing trips in the Pac Northwest that I told someone recently, "I cannot see myself ever selling it... I love it that much!" I have owned more then 150 cars (including new off the showroom Galant VR-4 #1337) but the cars in that garage were the ones I were most attached to. They cannot be replaced for any amount of money. I'm so distraught I cannot even envision attending another car related event for the foreseeable future. I just want to get through this potential battle over value.

So if anyone else has on opinion about this cars value, please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

galantrevolution

Dealing with the insurance about you car value hopefully ends in good terms in your favor , i decide to use Hagerty for my VR4 that way from day one , I stated the car value and If any happen to my car that’s the amount I will get.

slugsgomoo

Quoting transparentdsm:

Agree with everything here.

Heartbreaking to see the pictures, and I can't imagine the loss of your mom's car, so sorry to see this man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hopefully insurance will at least do their best to make it right financially, even if there really isn't anything that can replace these.

strokin4dr

Sorry to see this bro. That is terrible, but could have been worse.

I agree that 8-9k is a good starting place even with milage.

Quoting transparentdsm:

GSTwithPSI

Wow, Eric. I can't even believe this. I really feel for you, man. I was really looking forward to checking out the Galant, and hopefully doing some joint wrenching together.

I'd also agree that car would have fetched 7-9k in the current market. I made a thread a while back that may help you make your case to the insurance company: click

149/1000 and 1218/2000 sold recently, and were both bone stock VR-4s in really nice condition.

If there's anything I can do to help you out, just ask.

gtluke

Holy crap, sorry to hear man.

transparentdsm

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Wow, Eric. I can't even believe this. I really feel for you, man. I was really looking forward to checking out the Galant, and hopefully doing some joint wrenching together.

I'd also agree that car would have fetched 7-9k in the current market. I made a thread a while back that may help you make your case to the insurance company: click

149/1000 and 1218/2000 sold recently, and were both bone stock VR-4s in really nice condition.

i was looking for this thread, also talk to EfiniX as his got side swiped and he got a decent price, but he also got his car back and was able to part it to offset the difference.

GVR4ZUM

Hi Eric,
I just saw your post, I'm sooo sorry to hear this, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm glad though that nobody got seriously hurt. I made it to Radwood2 saw your car and stayed by it for a bit hoping to see you.

ApexHunter

Hey Eric, good meeting you the other day, and it makes this worse. So sorry to see this. I know it wasn't just a car. Glad your Dad and his caretaker are OK, but wow, i'm not surprised you are devastated. I remember when you got the car off BaT.

A number of us have had to fight for the value of these cars. Ditto previous posters here; Often one of the best ways to prove value is by providing examples of recent sales. As these cars exist in small numbers, are spread out through the country, and don't sell in high volume regularly, it won't be easy. What was suggested to me at one time was to create a simple spreadsheet of (relatively) recent similar condition GVR4 sales, with sales prices and links to FS ads wherever possible. The thread that Brett linked a few posts up is a great resource.

transparentdsm

my body wasn't as nice. i was asking 12k for mine but i got 7k for 138/2000 that is now badged as 1415/2000( the agreement was i get to keep all 138 numbered parts as it holds sentimental value to me and my coilovers and strut braces) and a tsi i sold for 2300 after a few months of driving it. it also went to a close friend who has and will care for it.

fuel

I'm so sorry to see this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

abikepeddler

Quoting GVR4ZUM:
Hi Eric,
I just saw your post, I'm sooo sorry to hear this, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm glad though that nobody got seriously hurt. I made it to Radwood2 saw your car and stayed by it for a bit hoping to see you.

Sorry I missed you at Radwood but once I heard there was a Renault R5 Turbo 2 at the event I pretty much had to just be near it the rest of the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That fat, little, angry chipmunk just makes me freaky...

Thanks for the pic of the car. That is the last one of the car before the fire that I have.

abikepeddler

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Thanks so much for the assistance with this. Hagerty is all over the claim on the Mercedes 230SL and it's guaranteed value so I am not worried there but the VR-4 is another matter all together. I am expecting a payout of $1800 or so from the Gecko so what I am doing is gathering data such as what you linked me to as well as all the thousands of dollars I poured into the car this past 8 months. Of course, to me, the car is worth $150,000 and the insurance feels it's worth $1. Normally this would not be such a difficult thing for me to battle them but I am so emotionally compromised that I just have no fight left in me. I need to suck it up and fight for the value of the Galant, Ridgeline and the 59' Mini. The irony of all this is that I owned 8 vehicles on Saturday and now do not have a car to drive as my teenagers and wife drive the remaining 3 cars. First world problem, of course, but it is weird to go from choosing between these cars I worked do hard (myself!!!) to restore and now be relegated to a bicycle. (Yes, the insurance could supply me with a rental car I suppose but I'm more inclined to punish myself for this whole mess... I'm just so damn upset. Riding the bicycle will be good for me.)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts