The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help and info!

Roehre009

Hey everyone, this is my first time but I have found a 1991 Galant VR-4 #853/2000 near me and am super interested in it. It is not in the best shape but I really like the cars! I have a 1997 Mustang Cobra that I am thinking about trading for it but am wanting some input whether it be good or bad. I will post the link to the ad. I am interested in the trade and so is he. He doesn't have a pic of the badge but he sent me a pic via text.

click

Snook1345

I would ask the seller a few questions and then if you were to trade try to get some money on top, assuming your mustang is cleaner.

Try to find out what tranny is in it, or who rebuilt it, find out why the title is rebuilt, assuming because it was totaled but i would
find out how bad the accident was. The "megan" downpipe was probably made for a 1g so it will be hard to find a catback that will properly
exit the rear, which is probably why he hasnt. Unless you wanna shell out $900 for a CMP exhaust, your best bet would be to get a rough cost
of how much an exhaust shop would charge to just make you one, and then subtract that from the cost.

Also a very important thing to look for is RUST. It has killed many VR4s. Most prominent spot is under the front and rear doglegs.

You should find this out before offering your car in any kind of trade imo

Roehre009

Ok, thank you. I did talk to him and he said that this weekend he is getting the exhaust put on. Anything else I should know?

transparentdsm

depends on what you value your mustang at. personally for me, it wouldn't be worth it unless i have a salvage or rebuilt title vehicle to trade. yes these are rare and interesting cars, but unless you plan to keep that car the rest of your life its selling price won't retain. Im a hoarder and a galant nut case, but i wouldn't spend 4500 on that car. 2000-2500 would be my limit, this however is my opinion and the value of the car is that of whoever buys it. on a side note, be prepared to go out and buy a full suspension right away. ground controls aren't bad, but its a sh*t excuse for a coilover and will be bouncey.

Roehre009

So I did end up getting the car. Not the prettiest in the outside but inside it is cleaner than the preacher on Sunday. Really awesome car!! Fell in love right when I first drive it. 16g turbo and is running at 15 psi. Anything you guys would do from here to keep her happy?

Defiant

My biggest piece of advice I can give you, and everyone here will agree with me is to make sure the car is mechanically sound before you start upgrading.

If the car has issues and you start upgrading, chances are your going to create more issues than you originally had.

I highly recommend starting here click

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting Roehre009:
So I did end up getting the car. Not the prettiest in the outside but inside it is cleaner than the preacher on Sunday. Really awesome car!! Fell in love right when I first drive it. 16g turbo and is running at 15 psi. Anything you guys would do from here to keep her happy?

congrats, post pictures of the interior. i hope the car treats you well.

Chad989of2000

Congrats on the purchase. Just like any other "performance" focused car, maintenance is key. Regardless of what the PO stated was done, just spread some preventative maintenance all over the car especially paying particular attention to the timing belt (interference engine). These cars react great to modifications but only when all maintenance items are taken care of. Enjoy.

Snook1345

change all the fluids, especially the oil

remove the doglegs and check for rust, and or clean out the leaves and $hit that gets caught up there

post some pics maybe we can point some stuff out to you?

Roehre009

Thank you!! I really love the car. She is by far my favorite car. I just checked all the fluids, all were good. Timing belt got done exactly 1 year ago which puts it at just under 23,000 miles. Anything else I should be doing?

Snook1345

its not hard, few bolts and your good. It is one of the more popular places for rust to hide in these cars.

One other thing that I would do that helped me out a lot when I first got mine is learning how to properly use this site.

There is a massive amount of info on this forum and before I post anything on here I always check to see if it has been covered.

I might suggest just scrolling through the newbie forum to see if anything peaks your interest.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts