The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator Fan constantly on even when the car is off

I'm new to the Galant / Pre 95 Mitsu world...i've always had 2g DSMs so some of this wiring is foreign to me. just recently i had this weird issue where my fan will not shut off even when i turn the car off and pull the key...I replaced the sensor in the radiator with a known good one. Why would this happen?

I wonder if its because I don't have this sensor in my new thermostat housing:

168211-0-0-0.jpg

This according to what I learned is a fail safe switch. It will switch on BOTH fans when it reaches its set temp. If this is the reason why how can I get around this because its a pain in the ass to keep having to pull the fuse and put it in when I turn off and turn on the car lol. I dont think this is the reason because this shouldn't affect the fans with the car off.

Also I removed the relays for the Radiator fan and the fan still runs...A friend of mine said that the rad fan runs off a switched ground.

Last edited:

Nebraska

Hi there, welcome to the community.

click

I found these electrical manuals to be very helpful when troubleshooting. I can even take a look since I work in electrical controls.

So, your primary fan is always running no matter what? Have you touched any wiring at all? I see you have a new tstat housing. Besides that sensor, is everything hooked up? I ask because I was playing with some wires by my tstat and one literally broke off because it was rock hard. Is your AC fan running or just primary?

Nebraska

Put a meter across the normally open contacts. If there is continuity^^^^ Mr. Fasa hit it on the head.

MuffinMan7580

#4 in the diagram switches the fans to high-speed. If the controlling wire touches ground, it will activate the relay and fans(I think it's Black/Blue). Also, the fans get switched on via ground on GVR-4's, so power is always there. If you rewired new fans into the car, double check your wiring using this page as a guide.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts