The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Emisión Label problem

galantrevolution

I have a JDM 1991 vr4 but the DMV here in Nevada want a emission label to determine if the car have an EGR valve since the lavel in the car is in Japanese, can somebody snap a picture of there emission label and also does somebody know where I can get more detail information for the vehicle specs for the Japanese market

fuel

Japanese VR-4 does not have EGR, and the emissions label is under the hood (in Japanese).

If your '91 JDM VR-4 originally was a 5-speed car, then it will be the 240hp Evolution model with big 16G TD05H turbo/larger intercooler&piping, 510cc yellow top injectors, close ratio transmission, 3.909 ratio 4-bolt rear (vLSD if E39A with 4WS, plate LSD if E38A RS without 4WS), hood vents, extra bumper vents etc.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What he said. ^^^ I took photos of the emissions label in another thread. Japanese Cyclones intakes have no provision nor did the Japanese market use EGR for emissions reduction.
You can add EGR by changing the EGR and swapping ECU's/rewire, but find out what emissions standards your chassis and engine (year of production) are held to when testing in NV.
I passed emissions idle and 2500 RPM (no rolling) test with flying colors, EGR does not come into play where it would make a huge difference other than visual, as a three way catalytic converter, clean plugs/wires and a working motor are all you need to pass the tail pipe sniffer as I proved years ago on 4g61t.org "passed smog thread".

I have a photo here in the Cyclone Dual runner thread I started a while back - how to kind of thing.

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=newbie&Number=1142327&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

151258-0-0-0.jpg

151259-0-0-0.jpg

151260-0-0-0.jpg

Credits due to this thread: Click me

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Here are generic and oddly enough, Mitsu labels at autozones page:

Click me

The clearly show the shape and label for the EGR valve, which also clearly is not shown using the same shapes in the Japanese diagram. Japan did not have EGR on many if not all cars until much later on when they tightened up emissions. NV guy should kind of be getting this unless he doesn't see many JDM cars.

galantrevolution

The problem is at the DMV the smog lab must verify the vehicle then set the parameters for the smog but since the label is in Japanese can't read what the vehicle is equip with it, but thanks for the labels , I will post the results

galantrevolution

Just to let everyone know the my JDM VR4 pass all the inspections at the DMV and is now U.S. legal

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts