The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear caliper replacement

bigandbad

I've to replace my rear calipers. Both sides the parking mechanism is rusted to crap. Original Mitsu calipers are here not available, and I want to avoid buying remanufactured calipers from Cardone.
Does anybody knows what calipers from other Mitsu models - exept Eclipse - could fit?
Don't need an upgrade, just a replacement...

fuel

The European market Galant Dynamic 4 or GTi-16V from 1990 onwards should have the same calipers. There was a change in piston bore size between the early pre-facelift 87-89 and the facelift 90 onwards models.

Diamante/Sigma uses internal drum park brake as does the 7G and 8G Galants so no help there.

Have you checked Rockauto for re-man/brand new calipers? Often they are cheap enough.

bigandbad

@fuel: Thank you, my car is a GTI Dynamic 4...
I checked at ASA - the VR-4 and the Dynamic 4 use to 99.9% the same parts.
My problem is all can get are remanufactured calipers - but I've had bad experience with that.
Colt GTi from 88-92 have the integrated parking brake, too, but they won't fir.
I thoight that some other cars - maybe Hyundais??? - ma use the same calipers...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I'm surprised the Colt brakes wouldn't work, as it appears the Colt C53A turbo rear discs, and DSM/Galant rear calipers were all the same pieces. Or so I thought!

What part of the Colt calipers would not work ??

89Mirageman

FWD/AWD rear calipers are slightly different Tim. They are clocked a little different where the e-brake cable attaches. I used a FWD caliper on an AWD car once in a pinch but had to leave the e-brake unhooked.

There would be some down time but you could always order new seals and rebuild them yourself. Depending on how bad they're rusted that is. Also if your calipers are that bad the cables are probably shot and seizing too.

Last edited:

fuel

I guess you're stuck with E38A or E39A AWD be it VR-4, Dynamic 4 etc or 1G DSM.

RockAuto have Raybestos reman calipers for about $100 a side. What was wrong with the Cardone units?

bigandbad

Bought a set of Cardone for my 1989 Mirage Turbo - they looked good, but I had to notice that one was internally cracked...
Colt C58 doesn't fit because the attachment of the handbrake cable isn't at the right place.
Bought now a set of Cardone at RockAuto - but #1 I would like to have new calipers, #2 they may be cheap if you live in the US, but getting them to Europe is an expensive experience. $230 for the calipers, plus $60 for shipping, plus $28 for customs and plus $60 for importing taxes make them worth their weight in gold.
I refurbishes my old ones, only to notice that the mechanism of the parking brake must be broken inside at both of them...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
When rebuilding these, the parking brake mechanism is usually the issue. I tried years ago, and the rust made it a no-go proposition. I could not even get it apart without destroying things. I don't think the parts are readily available for that part of the mechanism either.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts