The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo BBS restoration

Nebraska

Hi, just wanted to share my wheels that I picked up last October. They were decent for the most part, as they had the occasional rock chips and skuffs. But the worst part by far was how bad they were curbed.
Wheels when I received them:

As most of the curb rash could be lightly sanded away and reshaped, one spot was really bad.

So at work one day when all the machines were running, I brought the wheel into our welding area and me and another tech started hammering the lip back into position and tig welding layer after layer. After we had a good amount metal built up all over the scar, an air grinder was used to straighten out the area as best as we could considering the outter lip was seriously displaced. I then used some sweet paint called Steel-It (not cheap) as a temporary coat to protect the area we worked on. I was impressed with how well it matched to the OEM color of these wheels.

Since Steel-It is awesome, and the powder coat I matched perfectly to the wheels was not an option because of cost ($350) the steel it won the bid at $20 a can. It has stainless flakes in it. I also plan to use the really nice clear coat that has the activator/hardener capsulated inside the can.
Here are some pics of a freshly painted Steel-It wheel w/out Clear next to one of my unpainted wheels. I like it!

Thanks for looking, I will keep adding as I do things with these wheels as they're probably one of most beautiful wheels to come out of Japan (edit: errrrr Germany.)

Garrett

Last edited:

Nebraska

Thanks man, yeah I found a good powder match for OEM. At prismatic powders they have a color called victory grey III. Order a free sample and if you like it, I'll sell you what I got a good price.

GSTwithPSI

I love these wheels, and you did awesome work on the restoration. These look amazing on a VR-4. Now, let's see some pics of them installed!

Nebraska

Thanks! Working on getting them installed, have a rebuilt subframe I need to maneuver in. These wheels are getting Dunlop direzza dz102's on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nebraska

So I got the wheels completely done with used an awesome spray paint clear coat. It's $20 a can because it has an activator on the bottom that releases a hardener inside and creates a glass like surface. I love this stuff so much a used 5 cans on this part of the project. Of course had I know I would've needed so much I would have got some stuff for the old harbor freight purple gun. Pics on the car coming soon!

Nebraska

Now I'm in the process of getting the front ready. Should be a couple days

4Grim

Nice work man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Nebraska

Finally some full body pics. Need to raise the coilovers a little and get an alignment.
Rear end with new bushings/ball joints/bolts/bearings/seals/ebrake cable/and fluids.
New front calipers/bearings/seals/hubs/and ball joints.
All Abs components are removed and getting the actual abs module out soon. Any pointers for that would be appreciated.

Nebraska

Quoting faqinshiet:
Looks great! Almost like mine

I like yours as well!

And thanks GSTwithpsi

You guys think I get any positive camber in the rear? I have new alignment bolts and d2 coilovers...?

ApexHunter

That paint really came out nice!! I think that is the way to go versus powder coating. Powder coat is a nice durable finish, but the baking process requires you to expose the wheel to high heat for a while which can cause some mechanical property degredation. I know there are lower temp processes to avoid this but I will likely just paint wheels that need refinishing.

Nebraska

Thanks guys. That paint is called Steel-It. P/n 100-2b. I found it online for $18-20 whereas other places it can be up $36.

The properties are pretty good, its durable and looks nice as it has small flakes of stainless in them. Ill post more pics tomorrow on my car.
Just a note: I let them outgas for a few days before putting the clear coat, which is also $20 A can, on them.

89Mirageman

Looks just right man, great job. And still way cheaper than a body shop. Also never thought about having to heat the wheel up for a long period with powder coating, makes sense.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts