The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Would the Evo X FMIC Fit?

TRBODSM

I was wondering if anybody has tried this? It looks like the core will be more of a bolt on than the 8/9 if you flip the core so the end tanks are on opposite sides.

click

Barnes

Hmmm.. very interesting.

SmoothCustomer

You can make almost any intercooler fit with proper bumper cutting, and that one isn't overly large. I would guess that you could offset it a little bit if you had to so that the outlet is right where it's supposed to be, because the inlet doesn't have to be any place specific.

TRBODSM

I want to try that route and see how it fits. Now the hard part will be finding a stock one for a decent price.

HHIVR4

Cutting the bumper core is a definate.Making brackets is easy enough.There might even be some decent options like an under turbo pipe route or even possibly being able to run an Evo style turbo.

TRBODSM

I have a JDM front bumper on mine so no need to worry on cutting my bumper support. I have the usdm bumper and already cut the support to fit a FMIC. I cut it that way so my bumper wouldnt sag and the foglights could be used while having a decent size core on there. It currently has the evo 8 fmic with the flipped elbow and the usdm front bumper

broxma

Almost Anything is possible.

34861z7.jpg

4.5x24x17 behind an almost uncut Evo factory front bumper support.
Most kits require removal of the bumper support for anything 4" thick. Mine is half an inch thicker and kept it.

I see what you are talking about with the core tank inlet/outlet positions though. It is sort of the reverse of what I did with the one on my Galant. I welded a 90 on the driver side of my stock Evo 8 IC to meet the factory hose. The passenger side runs through the factory pipe as well.

If I can find a picture I'll get it up here.

/brox

524of1000

Brox' IC on his Evo is crazy big. I had no idea you didn't have to cut the bumper support. Thats amazing. I hacked my VR4 Bumper to sh*t with my 3" core /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Brox, I would love to see those pics of the vr4 setup. BTW that IC is fuckin huge,well done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

464/2K

Someone send me an ic and I'll let you know how it fits and even see if I can get a set of pipes made for it.

TRBODSM

Ill possibly be getting one in a couple weeks or so. I can let u guys test it out for a free set of ic pipes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

464/2K

Bring the material and cutting sh*t/welder and well do it for free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

broxma

Didn't mean to start a sidebar so, on topic, I do think the Exo X IC is better suited for the GVR4 than the 8-9 core, judging from the inlet/outlet layout. That being said, 379 is getting a custom job like her younger brother.

/brox

464/2K

Would need to see it mounted on the car, it could be too big.

By looking at it, doing the flip around with it, the end tanks look to be in the perfect location for a gvr4. I'm interested to see how this turns out. Post pics when you decide to tackle it.

TRBODSM

Here is my current set up with the evo 8-9 IC

If the evo X intercooler is centered thats what it would look like and would not fit. It it moves to the drivers side a bit it still wont fit because the endtank will hit the head light. I would rather keep the 8-9 IC and not have to worry about doing alot of modifications to get the X IC to fit. Please feel free to comment if you have a idea of how it might work with little modifications before I decide to sell it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned