The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to make a boost leak tester!

i looked on the vfaq but i was wondering if anybody has used something better and what do i need to make it thankyou

s_firestone

Assuming a 14b turbo, a 2" hardware store rubber coupler(with worm clamps), and a 2" PVC cap, a 16G has a tad larger opening, but small enough to squeeze a 2" coupler. Either buy a cap with a 3/8" threaded hole and put a quick connect NPT air fitting(threads are compatible) or just a tire cap fitting by pre-drilling a hole. Essentially you just want to put a cap over the turbo inlet and seal it. Then using compressed air, pressurize no more than 20 to 25 psi(no more than slightly higher than you would under boost) and check for escaping air. I recommend you rotate your engine to TDC to close your valves.

You will likely hear either a little bit or a lot of air escaping. Track down the source or sources by sound, feel, or soap bubbles. Take one leak at a time from easiest or largest. Come research whenever you think you found one that might require a complex part to be disassembled. Some leaks are easy to fix, some are not worth the effort if they are small leaks. Some air will escape. A turbo is not perfectly sealed. You want to get the most obvious. Keep the leaks far under the ability of the air to compress while in boost. The ECU will be able to perform better because the volume of metered air in the system remains the same. If your engine is erratic or lacking in power that is one of the first things you should check.

Related question-
If on any cylinder an intake and exhaust valve are both even slightly open wouldn't air escape thru there?

If so can you set your crank to a point where you know they are all closed?

Does it matter?

Polish

Top Dead Center.

jepherz

Staff member
Rotate the crank pulley until the white cam marks line up parallel with the top of the head. Look up timing belt changing on VFAQ and it should show a pic.

Sweet jeezus! 21 freakin' dollars? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif That's quite the tidy profit! I'll stick to Home Depot Racing and avoid MockV.

sleepyvr4

time or $ ? And how much do you actually save? I made mine for $5, but I have the creativity of the ages. I also have a friend make one out of a coffee cup (not a typo) and we use it frequently.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts