The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Block

SRDK

Can anyone please explain the different types of 4G63 blocks.
I know there is a 6-bolt, shortblock, 1gen? Ect

Last edited:

mk2davis

Are you asking about the simply the cast block itself, or how they completed?

A short block is the block with crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons installed. Basically, everything below the head gasket.

A long block has the cams and valve train installed.

A "6 bolt" or "7 bolt" generally refers to the number of bolts that fix the flywheel to the crank. There are other differences, a 6 bolt has larger connecting rods, and larger intake ports in the head...

The 6 bolt has 3 main caps for the crank, the 7 has a girdle. I have no idea if these are interchangeable. The oil squirters have different pick ups. the 7 bolt has different diameter head bolts.

Early 7 bolts have the notorious crankwalk issue, but I don't know if that is a block issue or thrust bearing?

CutlassJim

Don't forget Wide and Narrow versions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned