The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Consensus on spring on spring rates?

littleb

I tried searching to see what people think and haven't come up with too much. I've mostly seen 8k/6k and 7k/7k. I have an opportunity to get some buddyclub rsd's for an evo for a very good price but they have 5k/4.5k swifts on them. So if I get them I'm going to be swapping out the springs but I'm not sure which rates I want to go with. Also, I noticed that evo guys run a stiffer spring in the rear than the front. Why?

Edit: title should read "consensus on spring rates"

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I've never actually researched spring rates so take this with a grain of salt but the Evo 7-9 is a similar weight car with a similar suspension design and weight balance. I would think springs that would work for an Evo would be perfect for a Galant. Also just from observation 8k/6k seems SUPER stiff. It would probably horrible to drive on the street.

They probably run more aggressive rear spring rates the same reason they run way bigger rear sway bars. To dial out some of the relatively high understeer "we" have and promote rear end rotation.

FWIW my two main suspension set-ups on my car have been Evo KYB's with Evo lowering springs and now Evo K&W V3's and they have both been perfect on the Galant for a fun street car.

littleb

So on evo's I've seen anywhere from the 5k/4.5k that I mentioned in the OP all the way to 12k/12k. And from the cars with 12k/12k it doesn't seen like they're coming off purpose built race cars. Maybe I'll get the zeals with 5k/4.5k and run them and see how they are and then if I want to change them I can just buy some swift/eibach springs.

tektic

A test run seems in order. I just put cheep coilovers on a fwd 1g I went with 8k 6k 180mm length springs. It’s really not that stiff. I swapped to those as the kit came with 12k 8k, but I didn’t try that setup before installing.

The evo suspension has different motion ratios from my understanding and that’s why they Choi’s a heavier rear spring. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

ApexHunter

Evo and GVR4 share a similar rear suspension motion ratio, Evo is a little over .7 and GVR4 is about .8 (how far the shock moves vs. how far the wheel moves). Generally, you see a similar front to rear spring rate bias on gvr4 and evo kits. Some of the more conservative setups like from Tein or BC use a slightly stiffer front spring. Generally speaking a lighter rear spring on a front-heavy car will net a better ride. The damper itself is a huge factor though. More on that in a second.

Square spring rate setups are ideal on the evo/gvr4 as a nice compromise between handling characteristics and ride quality. If you plan on putting a big rear sway bar on the car, best to stick to square spring rates or slightly front biased rates at first and up the rates or do other things to dial out understeer later as needed. A lot of guys have got into trouble going for the big rear spring rates AND sticking the big rear bar on there, which can make for a car that oversteers pretty easily when the weight is shifted forward, like when lifting off the throttle or braking.

For a GVR4, 6k, 7k, 8k square setups are all able to offer a level of compliance that is suitable for a street GVR4. The trick is with the damper. When you start getting into really high end dampers it will blow your mind what is possible as far as a smooth ride even with really aggressive rates.

ApexHunter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting tektic:</font><hr />
A test run seems in order. I just put cheep coilovers on a fwd 1g I went with 8k 6k 180mm length springs. It’s really not that stiff. I swapped to those as the kit came with 12k 8k, but I didn’t try that setup before installing.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

I thought the 1G FWDs used a different rear suspension than the 1G AWDs and GVR4s?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes they do. Beam axle not trailing arms.

tektic

I take it back. The 8k/6k is way too harsh on the street During all but the most aggressive driving. even after readjusting height and preload settings. I know the front of the fwd eclipse is lighter but with the 8k spring I just barely got it to the right droop height on passenger front side with 0 preload. I’m going to try 6k/ 6k Next. The rear feels good at 6k. Feel sells 7k/7k for both cars.

I’m building coilovers for my galant next And think 7k/7k would be a decent selection.

vr4play

Higher rear spring rates will help the car pick up some rotation in the turns. I run 550lbs front and 600lbs rear which is approx 10k and 11k. The ride is definitely not like a Cadillac but its not terrible. It all depends on the quality of damper you have. I'm running a high dollar custom damper that can control the spring and keep the ride decent. I think when I was driving the car all the time on the street I had 350lbs front and 400lbs rear which is like 7k and 8k and I thought it rode good but stiffen enough to feel like a sports car. People who aren't used to sports car would think it was a tad harsh but totally bearable. Anything less than that and it's too hard to control the body roll and get the car to want to turn worth a darn so it depends on what your going for.

KiNgMaRtY

The higher spring rate in the rear as mentioned definitely helps these car rotate. I am running 8K front and 9K in the rear on my KW V3's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts