The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

non-sunroof has sunroof?

yubh8tn

Hey guys, so I'm starting to think 1384 didn't have a sunroof from the factory. It has the non-sunroof dome lights in the front and back, non-sunroof mirror, and non-sunroof sun visors. The sunroof controls aren't in the factory location (front dome lights) and are just a small panel of buttons. Is there any recording of dealerships installing sunroofs? Or should I be worried about some previous owner's mischief?

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

turbofonz

It was pretty common in the 80's and 90's to have sunroofs put in cars that didnt come with them. A dealer wouldn't have done this, it would have been done elsewhere. Basically, if the sunroof itself has a rubber seal, its factory, if around the hole in roof has a rubber seal, its not factory. Someone cut a big fat hole in the roof and had to seal it up, where factory cars are designed to fit the assembly.

turbowop

I think it was actually a pretty common dealer-added aftermarket item on these cars as I've seen a lot of them with non-factory sunroofs and they all look the same. Maybe dealer bodyshops did the work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

maroonmetallic

In my personal experience working at aGM dealership in the late 90s/early 00s, the sunroof (& mock tops ) were done at a local apholstery shop.

Some were ASC brand (think 3000gt spyder "conversion"), others were lesser known companies.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, very common in the old days. Usually pretty crappy hardware and installation quality control. I watched this being done once after I was working at an OEM and I was horrified (it was an ASC shop).

yubh8tn

Well, that explains the leaks and the lack of function. I'm going to try to get it to work and reseal it, and if it goes horribly I'll just delete it.

Thanks guys

gs300cky

Just make it a moon roof with some lexicon plexiglass 👌

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts