The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear 3-pont Seatbelt Install

Stevenoly

Hi all,

I'm looking to convert my rear outer seats to a 3-point seat belts in my 1988 Galant VR4 (currently have 3 lap belt's back there). I have purchased a set of rear seat belts from one of the part outs, but my question is what is the factory mounting setup on the c-pillar? It it just a stud welded to the body, or is it a plate style that I then thread a bolt into? I've searched the forum and google images to see if I could see a bare c-pillar but have failed so I come to you for help.

Also if anyone happened to have s nice set of c-pillar trim they would part with I wold love to buy a set that already have a hole in them instead of taking the Dremel to mine.

AllanL

it is a nut welded onto the pillar and you mount the pivot bolt here...

Stevenoly

Perfect, so just any minimum grade 5 nut and bolt combo, or do I need a specific type of combo? I'm going to take it to a local shop to have the welding done, but want to make sure I have the right parts when I go.

AllanL

7/16 x 25mm with lock washer is the bolt size

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Did you get the shoulder belts yet? Typically the seat belt mount bolts are captive in the mounting tab so the correct bolt is used with no mistakes (often because in many import car despite being metric, the thread is SAE as mentioned).

Stevenoly

After opening the seat belts I see now that there is a bolt mounted in the tab so I need to find the nut that fits. Just for clarification, where does the retractor mount? Looking at it not in the car (and never having been in a USDM car) I’m a bit confused.

I’m grateful for all the help.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would check in your car if the nut is already there. Many times for such a small item, they may make a common panel with the weld nut there.

I can't remember where the retractor is off-hand. Maybe someone has a car apart currently that can take a picture?

Stevenoly

I’ll try to disassemble some things and see why may be there. As it is a 1988 I’m not sure what I’ll find. A picture would greatly help me out if/when someone has time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts