The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

148/1000 has a new home

DerekCasey

Hey everyone,

My name is Derek and I just purchased 148/1000 from drifter148. It was in an accident in 2008 and has been in the garage since then. She needs a partial front clip replacement (getting that from 100/2000, its only non-rusty area) and hope to have this up and running by the shootout. Super-clean otherwise. I hope to learn a bunch on the VR4's (I used to have a 92 Talon AWD, but sold it a few years ago). My username may be familiar as I am the oldest of THOMCASEYs sons. We now have 5 GVR4's in the fam, bit it will be parred down to 4 once 100/2000 is dismantled. 148's interior is super clean, as is the rest o the car. She also came with a complete ORIGINAL drivetrain with less than 1600 miles on the rebuild of the ORIGINAL motor. Has working AC, cruise and a leak-free AWS system. Less than 98k on the chassis. Fortunately, we already have fenders, bumper and hood on hand.

A few pics of the car:

fuel

Welcome! And congrats on the purchase of the fine Mitsubishi specimen - it would be very interesting to follow the restoration progress!

DerekCasey

Fortunately the damages area is in front of the strut towers. Will be a first for us in this type of restoration.

Eztoril

Welcome and another congrats. When you get her buttoned up, you guys should do a family video of these cars.

Here is another family that owns the same cars, do something similar.

Bmw e28 family

cheekychimp

Hey Mark, you’re still a whipper snapper, you haven’t earned the right to feel ‘old’ yet lol.

thomcasey

We cut off the front of 100/2000 so it can be donated to 148. Cut the radiator core support off 148. Have to do a pull on the passenger frame rail, then we can splice in a replacement for the crushed bumper mount ends.

Donor from 100/2000

Core support removed from 148/1000

thomcasey

It has been a minute or two since we have made progress on this. This is now ready to grind some welds and paint the welded areas. Got everything matched and welded on.

Mostly welded up

Weight test, jumped up and down on it for a while and remeasured, The jumper here is the son that did the welding

Front temporarily assembled

thomcasey

We are calling ourselves "Sketchy auto-works", lol. I am amazed we were able to get everything lined up by using a Harbor Freight ram puller, 5.5 ton trucker chain, a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer to pull from and a 2013 Ford Explorer as an anchor. Plus a big hammer and Eastwood MIG welder. $600 total in equipment vs $1500 at a shop, not including transportation. Plus I have a decent welder and some other tools to keep. I wouldn't say it would have the same crash test results as factory, but it is 27 years old and will just be a weekend warrior. Should do nicely.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts