The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fixing side mirrors?

Hertz

Staff member
Any JDM mirror guys listening? I know you know how to do this...

My driver's side mirror isn't attached very firmly (the glass) and will rattle on rough roads. It's just enough to make you feel loaded when changing lanes.

How do you remove the glass from the mirror housing? I can't really get a good feel for what the problem is, but it looks like some rubber bits are basically dried/cracked. I'd like to remove it maybe shim it up a bit, or glue anything thats broken, etc.

Thanks in advance.

gvr4ever

Are you sure the glass is loose? Pop of the little triangle cover from the inside of the door and make sure the screws are tight.

That was the fix that worked for me. You might have a different problem though.

Hertz

Staff member
Yah, the housing is firmly attached, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check.

The driver's glass is loose (it has free play in it that the passenger side does not). I can adjust it fine, it just bounces when I hit bumps.... especially because my suspension is so damn old.

I don't think it's just a JDM issue. My wifes was doing the same until the deer took care of that problem the other day
blush.gif

Arty

Mine was shaking too.
From memory it was because one of the plastic mounts for the mirror drive motor inside, had cracked. I used some glue and a piece of thin metal tie that's used on the CV joint boot, to repair the plastic mounting lug. I had to remove the mirror from its spring loaded mount, to get access. I needed a piece of thin wire and a helper to re-assemble the spring loaded mirror mount.
It's been shake free for over a year now.

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by GVR1643:
I don't think it's just a JDM issue. My wifes was doing the same until the deer took care of that problem the other day
blush.gif
Right, I was mentioned the JDM because, as I understand, you have to swap the glass to use JDM mirrors.

Now I know that there is a spring loaded mechanism that holds them in -- that will at least keep me from yanking them out and breaking it for real. Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a bit that was probably the spring attachment. I adjusted the mirror all the way "in" and could get a finger in the left side.

Thanks for the help guys!

joec

Not sure if it's the same for the JDM mirrors...

When I got my GVR4, the driver side mirror was "loose". Not the housing, just the glass would sorta vibrate on bumps. I noticed a small hole underneath the mirror housing. There's some sort of screw inside. I used a small screwdriver to tighten that screw and it tightened up the mirror glass.

On the JDM mirrors to remove the glass you need to tilt the glass as far up as it goes and with a flat head screw driver prey it off from the bottom, then slide it up. Now would also be a good time to use the right glass for the mirrors. The glass you need to get is from a Galant with NON POWER MIRRORS. The braket is the same as the JDM mirrors, it just clips right on.
Jose....

Dude that freagin rocks. I'd been living with the "mirror with hydros" crap for a year or so since I didn't want to get in there and yank it apart. Tightening that screw fixed it right up.

Why do you have to change the glass to use JDM mirrors? Do you mean swap the glass from your US housings into the JDM housings?

Also, KC, what's up with those mirrors on your site? I couldn't be sure, but they looked more rounded than our mirror housings; are there any other differences?

The glass from the US mirrors is bigger than the JDM glass so you cant interchange them. And on JDM mirrors the glass it set up different, the objects are closer than they appear mirror is on our driver side, and the regular mirror is on our passenger side (remember they are set up for right hand drive).
Jose.....

Arty

I got a pair of JDM mirrors a few months ago and both driver and passenger are convex ? I'm finding it hard to adjust to the "closer than they appear" factor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts