The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wont go over 1500rpms

Jesh

okay so i'm not sure if this is a new one but just thought i'dd throw it out there... so my car one day wen i started it would only rev up to 1900rpms. it was really cold at the time about -25F outside. i would drive it and as it warmed up i would be able to rev it less and less, 1900,1800,1700... ext. it would stop when it got to 1500rpms. but if i tried to go past 1500rpms it would act like a rev limiter. and randomly it would snap out of it and take off! next thing you know your back to 1500rpms... i drove it like that for about 2 months, problem just went away when it got warmer out, i figured it was moisture in the ECU or somthing to that effect. next winter rolled around and it was fine. haven't had a problem since. and the ECU was replace with a brand new unit from mitsubishi about 1 month before this all started happening. either way i'm changing to a AEM EMS, i mean... why risk it? oh and when you were cruising at 34mph if you hit 1500rpms it would cut spark or fuel (i dont' know which) and wouldn't give me power back til it got below 1200rpms. as you can imagine shifting at 1400rpms is VERY annoying. limp mode maybe? let me know what you guys think. oh and car was completely stock at the time.

im a noob to dsm as well, but from personal experience im thinking it might be your ignition coils..does it sound all funny even on idle? mines sounded like wrx when a pair of my ignition coils went out.. and when i would rev up to about 2k rpm it did sounded like fuel cut with alot of misfire.

hope this helps!

-steve

Jesh

nope was fine at idle ran great, just wouldn't go over 1500rpms. and i swapped the coils at one point with a known good set. there was no change.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned