The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter cable and bracket difference between VR4 and DSM

fivestardsm

I had posted this a while ago in another thread to show what to look for, but I thought I would start a seperate thread just for them so here it is.

This is just to show the difference and similarities between GVR4's and DSM's with the difference pointed out about the missconception of the usage of a 90 DSM trans in a 91 model VR4 or DSM.

Just so you know, The transmission cases are the same! You can run a 90 in a 91, or vise-versa as long as you swap out the brackets and and shifter arms. The shifter arms are the only reason why the cables dont work when you do this swap.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE CABLES AND SHIFTER BASE!!!

I labled these as brackets in the picture, but ment to call them shifter arms!vv

Here are the cables sitting next to eachother. The top ones are from the VR4, the second set down, are from a 1991 and up DSM, and the third set down are from a 1990 DSM. The VR4, and 1991 and up DSM are the same. The difference in length between the 1990, and the vr4/91 up, is roughly 1 3/8 of an inch on only one of the cables. The other cable is the same length.

Brianawd

Nice post. Good info as I have a brand new set of 91+dsm cable sitting in my shed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

maroonmetallic

Im bumping this up because I got sick of searching the web for hours finding conflicting info.
Despite the measurement difference in the original post, it does not say Which of the two cable sets is the longer one.

Just trying to figure out what I have/need to run my JDM (90 style) trans in my car.

-Shawn

DynastyLCD

excellent post. this should be archived somewhere.

Brunoboy

Bump, is 91+ shifter cables all the same non turbo and turbo?

Last edited:

Brunoboy

answer for this?

GSNT

MB659306 is the shift cable part number for all E33A, E38A, and E39A. All 5 speed Galants model year 1991+ have the same cables.

MB659866 is the shift cable part number for all D21A, D22A, and D27A. All 5 speed DSMs model year 1991+ have the same cables.

MD735585 is the shifter bracket that mounts to the trans for the shift cables to clip into. It interchanges with all 91+ Galants, and all 91+ 1.8, 2.0 NT, and turbo DSMs.

Nabeel

I was to do the same thing. I am using 90 transmission on my 91 galant I have shifting issue at high RPM. I thought may be I need to change these brack. so i ordered from dealer the lever, shaft gear shift & bracket. Part # MD729750, MD735587, MD735585. + NEW fork MD770506 & pivot ball MD719602. The rev lever is same so no need to change.

Thanks for the Info posted along with the thread, it helped me a lot in resolving the problem.

Nabeel

Just got the item for 91 GVR4 to fit them on the 1g 90 transmission. Hope this will improve the shifting issue I have.

Soo, just to be clear...to fit the '90trans in a GVR4, I need to keep the GVR4's shifter arms and cables. Correct?

Are there any issues with the transfercase? rear diff?

mitsuturbo

It's also very easy to pull the end cover on the transmission case off, pop off the snap ring for the VCU, and swap the output shaft from a 91 trans. This is why i have something like 8 output shafts collecting dust and grease in a drawer somewhere.

I ran a 90 trans in one of my previously owned gvr4s, and all i did was change the brackets on the tranny so the car still had the 91 style. I didn't have any issue with the cable length, but IIRC, i did do quite a bit of adjustment of one of the cables at the shifter base so things would line up right.

tektic

So the dsm and the Galant is the same (longer) shift arm. The one that holds the little white cube. I thought there was just a post that said it was different, but now I can't find it.

thomcasey

They are different. Actually, both arm are I believe. You just need to match the bracket for the cables on the tranny with the arm style installed (VR4, 90, 91)

I have a 90 AWD transmission with the 23-spline output shaft installed (Car came without a transmission). I mixed and matched transmission brackets until I found one that lined up properly.

tektic

I'm not sure if this is for a 90 dsm or a Galant but it's definitely a set and definitely shorter than the 92 setup. How do I tell?

thomcasey

I just installed it and checked where the cable ends fell to determine which bracket I needed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts