The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problem while cruising

RWD4G63

I was driving on the highway the other day and my car started to miss. When I accelerated it went away and the car accelerates clean and strong. When I decellerate I get a slight popping. The tach bounces around when the car misses but aside from the missing during cruising there seems to be no other problem. I have an MSD ignition so I bypassed it and it did the same thing. Plugs are OK and no DTC's. Thought it might be my CAS but with the lack of issues during hard acceleration I'm not sure...any thoughts???

Test & check the spark plug wires. Because when you gas it..give full charge & power. But when you cruising...less charge & power. It happen on me few years back. I changed the wireset...it's all back to normal. Hope it help.

icurunnin

^x2
I had the same issue on 501 and the boot was arching the coil pack. swapped wires and it went away.

RWD4G63

I should have mentioned its a COP setup. It almost feels like fuel starvation, its a really strange miss.

prove_it

if your getting full power when accelerating then it's not an ignition problem. popping from the exhaust is from excessive fuel in the exhaust. your probably shooting some flames /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
do you still have egr? the egr system is active under cruise but not during acceleration. I know in hondas when the egr ports get clogged they miss under cruise but no other time.
check and make sure a hose hasnt come loose too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned