The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rewire the Car

jmorri15

Tell me I am crazy or not,

So I keep fighting with old wiring and today when I started the car after cleaning the injectors and changing plugs I have a bunch of sensors that worked a few months ago and don't work now. The IAT, TPS and Coolant Temp sensors all now don't seem to be working correctly. I am considering pulling the engine and dash and completely going through the whole thing, I have deleted ABS and wouldn't mind removing the cruise control.

Oh on a semi related note has anyone separated off different parts of the harness to make it easier to troubleshoot later or would you keep it closeish to factory?

I am furloughed through at least the end of the month so I have more time then normal.

Last edited:

mk2davis

You can download the factory service manual in the how to and info archive. I'd start by troubleshooting the sensors themselves. If they check out, your have 6 wires to replace? If all else fails, try getting a harness from eBay or performancepartout.com .

Have you had your caps in the ECU tested/looked at/replaced? I have zero idea if it could be related, but it's suspicious that so many sensors went south simultaneously. Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

Unless you take really good notes or have a huge selection of wire to use, I find rewiring difficult to replicate all the color combinations. Unless you want to go to a standalone ECU.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I suggest that if multiple sensors went down all at once, you either have very dirty connection points of contact and or you have a ground wire or shared wiring that never got hooked up.

Check out the wiring diagrams and see if there is any commonality that may not be plugged in or connected.

Look for green death in the terminals and corroded but not green connection points.

All the factory connectors are available from Sheridan Engineering and his supply to multiple big DSM suppliers. JNZTuning.net and multiple others should have some around or go direct.

Last edited:

jmorri15

I have so many documents I might be able to build the car from a pile of parts, lol. I keep checking on both Ebay and Performancepartout but I'm not super confident another 30 year old harness will not have issues as well. I am sending the ECU over to the ECM Tuning guys so they can look it over but visually looks fine. About a year ago I had a problem with my ITA sensor not reading and it turned out to be a loose pin on the ECU plug. I do not really want to completely replace the harness but I think everything need to be toned out and most of the connectors on the engine are trashed.

jmorri15

I have the engine harness sitting in my garage now so I am going to clean everything and see if I can figure out where my problems are. I have messaged the guys over at Sheridan and I will be ordering the ECU and Engine Kits.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts