The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch switch activates brake lights

idreamidrive

Not sure if this has been going on for a while, as I never really have my tail end up against something to notice, but last night I noticed that when pushing in the clutch pedal, this activates my brake lights. I recently have rebuilt the clutch/brake pedal assembly, but that should have no bearings on this happening. Brake switch activates brake lights, cruise control clutch switch activates brake lights. Looking at the wiring diagram, looks like the clutch switch goes in to the Auto-Cruise Control Unit (ACCU) at "1", and the ACCU can send out a brake (stop) light out at "15". Normally I would take out the ACCU and inspect it for a short, but its in a really tight spot (right above the dead pedal along with everything else). Anyone know if there is more than one bolt holding it in? You can easily get to one bolt, but it feels like the ACCU is mounted with at least another one, which isn't going to make removing it fun as there is a bunch of stuff in the way. Only other weird thing with the cruise on this car is that sometimes I have to hit the button 3-4 times to get it to set the speed/light up the gauge cluster light.

transparentdsm

Honestly I would start with trying to unplug clutch switch for the ACCU and see if it stops happening. If it does I would suspect a short in the switch, if not I'd start removing the clutch pedal assembly you just rebuilt and look for a wire that got stuck somewhere or pinched during reinstallation.

The switch in the pedal is only held on there with a 12mm bolt. Should be easy to remove with everything in place.

GTX

Check all ground cables! With bad ground, many weird things happen!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned