The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine stall, cranks, no start

theevozero

I've been trying to get my Galant running for years now. It was running fine then one day it just stalled and it hasn't really run again since. It would try to spit and sputter but now it just turns over. It just fouls out spark plugs and floods the cylinders.

I've checked injector pulse at each injector and am getting one long pulse initially followed by several short pulses(2-3ms according to aem). I've removed all the spark plugs, grounded them, then turned the cas. The spark plugs seem to be firing twice as much as normal(as compared to a stock module) using an AEM v2 and have switched to dsmlink v3 for testing. I got the car to start very briefly on v3 the other night, but wouldn't start the next day. It would only run on 1 cylinder with the throttle floored, fouled plugs again. I've tried all the obvious ignition stuff, cas, ignitor, coil, mpi relay. I've replace the connectors for the cas, tps, coil and isc with NEW connectors. I sent in my injectors (id 1000's) and they were perfect. Even installed the original engine and still the same stuff. I've ohmed all my engine harness from the module to each component and haven't found any issue. I've performed a loaded bulb test on all my power circuits on the harness and it always lights the bulb brightly. The only glimmer of hope I had was that I replaced the spark plugs some time ago with new ones and it ran for a couple of minutes, then fouled out the plugs again. I've drained and refueled the tank twice. As far as I can tell all the sensors appear to be reading correctly(using an AEM 5 bar map), tested using AEM and a vacuum pump. Shows 200 rpm while cranking, IAT and ect correlation seems correct(close to ambient temp). I've referenced a couple of posts on here with similar issues. One post the guy had wired his maf connecter wrong, the other guy had a poor wire repair done previously. I'm not sure where to go from here, thinking of crushing the car now.

I've got a couple of logs but I'm not sure how to upload them.

Been close to 5 years since I've actually driven my car. It's starting to wear on me.
Get Outlook for Android

Last edited:

idreamidrive

Are you speed density or maf? If it's sd, I can't help you. If you are still running a maf, when it does run does it run like when you have the maf unplugged? It sort of sounds like that is what is going on. I had a similar situation where I went through the whole thing you did.

Ever once in a while (usually in humid situations), the car will run like crap (like the MAF is unplugged and you can only keep it alive with throttle). Running super rich (I can smell it). Then it clears up after a 5 retires and runs like it never happened.

I ended up just getting a Evo mas or the one very similar to it (I can't remember the part number, I think it was a 3g eclipse gts one) and using the wiring harness from the for sale section click and it corrected my problem of a dead stock maf. I chased my tail for a week even though it felt like a maf the whole time.

Last edited:

theevozero

It is a speed density car.

I might have figured out the problem. Found some poor solder repairs near the engine module connector. I moved the harness around and found that just by doing so, 2 of the wires just broke. I installed the dsmlink module just for shits and giggles and it started. Sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and running like 11:1 afr. Checked the plugs and show to all be firing. Today I ordered a new connector from ohm racing. We shall see.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts