The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO 8 coils

Anyone running an EVO 8 ECU tried using the stock EVO ignition coils? The 91 Talon I'm building is going to be a fun street car with modest power goals. I'm planning to use an EVO 8 ECU, and for the sake of getting everything running smoothly initially I'm going to use a matching EVO 8 MAS and stock EVO fuel injectors. More aggressive tuning and upgrade parts can come later as needed/wanted. I'm also going to use a Cyclone intake manifold. That raises the question of mounting the ignition coils. I could try sourcing a Cyclone bracket, fab my own, or use an aftermarket COP. But then I thought, why not use EVO 8 coils? They're cheap and they would perfectly match the ECU so there shouldn't be any problems getting them to work properly. The EVO coils have the ignition transistors built in so I would simply remove the stock 91 transistor pack. The ECU wouldn't care because it would be wired up exactly as it is in a stock EVO. Trouble is that the tach gets its signal from the transistor pack. How could I get a tach signal if I used the EVO coils? I've searched multiple boards but haven't found any reference to anyone using EVO 8 coils in a 1G DSM/VR4.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I explored alternate coils a number of years ago, but never finished the project. I believe there is a lead on the harness that provides a ignition signal output (maybe a yellow/black wire?) that I was going to pursue as an alternate signal for the tach. Not sure if it is the right pulse frequency for the tach or not. I can't recall what number of pulses the tach receives from the transistor pack, but I think it was each firing (so two per revolution? Wasted spark?).

I would have to look at it again to refresh my memory.

In my searching I was reminded that the 1990 cars get the tach signal from a driver attached to the coil pack rather than from the ignition transistor. However it's a different signal. One sends positive pulses and the other is ground pulses. It *might* be possible to get the tach driver from a 1990 coil pack, wire it between the EVO coils, and then swap a 1990 tach into the dash, but I'm not sure if the tach driver and the EVO coils would play nice with each other, or how hard it would be to dig up the 1990 parts. It very well may be more trouble than it's worth.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts