The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear calipers replaced and bled...spongy pedal now

4dr_vr4

I replaced the rear calipers recently. I left the rear calipers off for a while waiting for new ones to ship. I lost a lot of fluid due to that. I went ahead and did a speed bleed of the rear calipers starting with the right rear. I *think* that the master ran dry by leaving the calipers off but I am not sure. Do the fronts now need to be bled as well?

I am also concerned because I purchased a set of Dorman speed bleeders and they bottomed out meaning the hex nut reached the caliper. I read a post on tuners where someone had that problem with some russell speed bleeders and it is supposed to be a no-go and yet when I press the brakes after the speed bleeders are tightened no fluid comes out so I am not sure if the speed bleeder is really at fault. In reality, I have only replaced just the left rear speed bleeder with the Dorman. The rest are Russell speed bleeders. For whatever reason, the speed bleeder/bleeder hole on the old caliper was only m8 as opposed to M10.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You will likely need to fully bleed the entire system. Fluid goes through the ABS unit as well, so it helps to push new fluid through everywhere.

If the speedbleeders don't leak they may be ok. I don't have any personal experience with them, but have heard others have had issues with them working properly all the time.

4dr_vr4

Thanks. It was actually the Dorman speed bleeder causing the issue. It was too short. Returned those and got some rusells and things are perfect. Just FYI, I have had awesome experience with speed bleeders. I don't have to annoy anyone to pump the brakes which is important to me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts