The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help with a quickness *Update as of 2 July*

ducttapeguy

My Galant has been basically sitting for the last 2 and a half to 3 years. I started having issues with it maybe 4 months after I bought it. I couldnt figure out what was going on so I took it to STM in Rochester. They have been working on it for the last two days almost nonstop and they cant figure out what is wrong with the car either.

I was experiencing a bad stutter onder WOT after about 12 pounds of boost. Nice and smooth before that while under partial throttle( like maybe 50%) and below 5000RPM. STM is saying that they cant even tune the car because of this stuttering problem when they hit 3psi or so. They add a FPR and some of the stutter goes away. Enough to try to tune it. They get up to 20psi and are only making 200hp and the car still has a stutter. What could cause this?

Mods are: Rebuilt engine with stock everything right around 10xxx miles, 750cc injectors(thinking this might be the issue. They were in the car when I bought it and before I bought the car it sat for a few years.) Supra fuel pump, Cold air intake, 3" exhaust, Spearco 2-178 FMIC, and ECM Link.

Please help. If I cant figure out whats going on with the car very soon Im going to have to sell it because I need a vehicle and I cant afford to keep dumping money into the Galant right now.

Thanks everyone

Tyler

Last edited:

ktmrider

What kind of airflow monitor are you using ( MAF, SD, blow-thru, etc )?

Also is there any type of stutter-box, NLTS, launch control being used?

CutlassJim

Fuel pump? Those Supra pumps don't last forever.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Tyler, have you looked into the ignition side of things?

mistaVR4

Quoting toybreaker:

Hi Jon, still no word from ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

glad too see you have a vr4 again bud.

let me know if you sell it, i have your last vr4 and its fuckin minty fresh.

Also i have someone who can fix your car better than emery.

ducttapeguy

Sorry for the delayed response even though my post is asking for help ASAP. Barracks life tends to make even the simplest things difficult sometimes. I also wanted to be able to get back with STM and try some of the suggestions yall came up with before they closed for the night. But I guess they close earlier than I thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I dont have any logs. STM is over 2 hours away from me. I havent looked into much of anything. I got the G back from Alan down in Binghampton and took it straight over to STM right before my post deployment 30 day leave. Got back and I havent seen the car in over a month. It made if from Binghampton to Avon(outside Rochester ~150ish miles IIRC) with no issues other than overheating at anything less than 35mph due to fans not coming on and having no boost because the wastegate died. I didnt have time before leave to just have it towed to STM.

STM closed shortly after I made my original post so I will have to get with them tomorrow. Right now Im looking for possible causes for this so I dont have to either sell the car or have a shop tear it apart to figure out whats wrong with it and then fix it.

See4Ways, who do you know that can fix my G better than Emery? I basically dont know anyone from the Rochester area outside of this board, and I dont think I have met anyone other than Alan(whoodoo) I can use all the help I can get. Would your guy charge me poop loads of money to make the Galant minty like yours? I miss that car. Thanks for taking good care of it.

Tyler

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting toybreaker:

^^^ This. What's the story on your current ignition setup? What are you running and how old are each of the components? My Eclipse had a problem similar to this. I could change variables such as fuel type, swap MAFs, injectors etc and it would change the issue a little but it would still exist at some point. The car would run perfect until it hit boost (anywhere between 12-16 PSI) and the just bogg until you lifted off the throttle. Otherwise, it idled great and ran good at cruise and under partial throttle all the time. I had a set of magnacore wires I was running at the time that were a year or two old. Someone also suggested to me that ignition may be my problem, so I changed my plugs and swapped out my wires with another set. Turns out it was the plug wires the whole time.

misterfixit

Check the resistance of the plug leads to the FSM if the look ok. If they are old and crusty replace them.

I second the previous post.

Rich

brisvr4

Try getting them to change the timing map for a stock 1g or evo map.
I tried pasting in a timing map from a guy on ecmtuning and mine would stutter really badly like it had stuffed leads and or plugs at anything over about 4500 under boost. I changed the map back to one that I had built previously and the stutter disappeared.
Nice and quick to check and eliminate as a suspect at least.
Hope you get it sorted soon!

ducttapeguy

Looks like STM was too busy yesterday and today to start looking into the ignition side of things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Hopefully tomorrow. If not, I dont know what to do. I need my car. I have all kinds of crap to take care of before I leave and head to Texas. Oh and this car is my way of getting to Texas...

Ill post updates as soon as I get them

ducttapeguy

They replaced the plugs and wires today and it made no difference. They also say that there is no issue with the fuel and no boost leaks. Car runs fine until boost, then its garbage. Maybe there is an issue with my Link?

5OF2k

Im curious what your knock looks like? Possible something in that circuit, because it quite literally sounds like either a boost leak(possible in the vacuum lines that run under the intake manifold for instance), or the cars' going into limpmode....

Just throwing it out there in case they havent tried it yet.

-Jake

mikus

I'm sure they're competent but everybody can miss something --- get a log from them and post it so we can have a look

ducttapeguy

Im working on getting a log from them, but until I do Im still left wondering what the issue could be.

What is left to check? Lets say that the injectors are good to go, FPR is good, Pump is good, lines are good, plugs and wires are good, no boost leaks, no MAF issues. Where else can we look for this stuttering issue? Again, the car runs and drives fine until it starts getting into boost. Relatively fresh engine ~10,xxx all stock, FMIC, 750cc, 3" exhaust, I was told the turbo is a 60-1or equivilant, running ecmlink.

Thoughts?

dsm10o0

Pop open the valve cover and look at all the rockers if they are all in place. A fallen rocker could cause it to studder like that.

ApexHunter

cam angle sensor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Sounds very similar to a problem my friend and I were trying to diagnose on his evo. Car ran great- until you put your foot into it. Turned out to be the crank angle sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts