The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Antenna mast ferrule removal

Arty

I can't see how I can remove the ferrule from the old antenna mast, so I can re-use it on a new mast. It seems to be captive? At the top, the cap is too big for the ferrul to go over and at the bottom the nylon cylinder is too big for the ferrule to go over ??

Do the replacement masts come with the ferrule ?

img.php

img.php

John.

ken inn

yup

atsiauto

I have become quite familiar w mitsu power antennas. ive actually taken the tip off and used the first segment w the zip strip teeth off of another bent mast to make mine work again. I locked 2 sets of vice grips 180 Deg from each other and used , YES a CLAW Hammer to pop that bastage off of there! similar on re-install I rapped it back on and crimped it again w the sidecutter portion of a set Of Klein linemnans pliers. Most smarty pants will just go buy a new mast from the dealer .. Good luck .

Arty

Thanks for the info.
The other thing that's concerning is that there doesn't seem to be any teeth missing from the old mast. For a few weeks the antenna wouldn't fully retract leaving 3in. of antenna out. Then it stopped extending and retracting all together, but now I can see that the mast seems to be intact. I measured the teeth at top and bottom of the mast and they are the same at both ends, troughs = 3mm peaks = 3.8mm.
I suspect the platic gear driven by the motor worm thread is worn down and maybe skipping underlead, but I'm not sure how to test it ?

John.

John.
cant answer your last question directly but I spent ages looking for a replacement mast. Local Mitsu dealer wanted to sell me one for $100. Contacted mitsu website and they told me the part didnt exist for the car.

however the Aerpro aftermarket mast for the Magna 96 and up is the exact fit. Almost all the car parts stores have them or can order them. Got mine from Repco for $42.
http://www.aerpro.com.au/cgi-bin/list.cgi?list=antennas

The dimensions are correct but the ferrule and bottom end looked a little different. Just needed a little extra force to get the ferrule in and the jobs done.

oh, mine is a 91 Galant. Not sure what you use, but that picture of your antenna is identical to mine and the replacement.

Arty

Thanks for the tip.
I was thinking the same thing, Supercheap has those masts for $24.
Unfortunately for me the mast is ok, it's the motor drive that's worn. None of the common off the shelf motor drives I have seen, have the matching mounting points, electrical connections or mast tube length.

John.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts