Drewpy_Dawg
(Newbie)
05/12/19 07:49 AM
"New old stock" timing tensioner

I have an OEM timing tensioner that has been in it's package, packed away in a plastic tote with other parts since I bought it new in 2005. It's never been installed, pin is still in place, looks pristine. Can anyone think of a real reason to not use it? I don't see how it could have degraded at all, given that it's never been used, hasn't been subjected to any heat cycles, etc. but maybe there's something I've overlooked? I don't want to be cheap, but the $100+ a new one costs could be better used elsewhere and I don't want to throw out unused OEM parts without a good reason.

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
05/12/19 02:31 PM
Re: "New old stock" timing tensioner

If it looks brand new with no surface rust, I'd personally use it. How long do you think Mitsubishi parts sit on shelves before they get shipped out? You could buy one today and it could be as old and you'd never know it.

Drewpy_Dawg
(Newbie)
05/12/19 03:20 PM

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They're made to last tens of thousands of miles in service, under tension, heat, rusting, etc. Wrapped up and packed away for years is nothing compared to that.

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
05/12/19 05:32 PM

In general, new old stock are usually desired no matter what the vintage year.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page