tektic
(Senior Member)
11/21/18 09:07 AM
Instrument cluster swap

Has anyone swapped to a lancer cluster or anything similar? I'd like an updated look for my dash.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume most the lights are a single wire. The fuel and coolant sensors are probably similar. The speedo still cable driven on the lancer? What about the vss sensor. That's in the cluster right?

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
11/21/18 10:35 AM
Re: Instrument cluster swap

Light circuits are a little more complicated than one wire because of the dimmer function if I recall correctly. I think the dimming function is on the ground maybe? Anyway, not too difficult to figure out.

Will the shape be similar enough?

tektic
(Senior Member)
11/21/18 06:35 PM

Honestly It's a little more complicated in my situation. I'm trying to finish up a dohc turbo swap in my mighty max. The instrument cluster is very lack luster. In fact it has no tach and no oil gauge. So an upgrade is definitely in order. I considered a 1g cluster but then since I'm probably using an evo ecu with patch harness I was wondering about the lancer cluster.

I'm curious how different other mitsubishi clusters and sensors are. The montero cluster looks to be about the same size and shape, so that might be worth considering. All aftermarket suff will probably run upwards of $1000 so... Other options are to cut the tach, fuel, temp and speedo out of something else and mount it with aftermarket oil boost and afr gauges.

dime2nr
(Member ++)
11/22/18 02:06 AM

If your gonna use an Evo ecu what about a Windows tablet odb to Bluetooth dongle type set up?

click

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
11/22/18 06:25 AM

1g/dsm vss in in the cluster. 2g unit is on the trans. The signal is compatible though. I'm using a 2g ecu in a 4g mirage with and evo 3 cluster and everything works like it came from the factory that way (once wires were ran to correct locations). I would try a montero or even a gvr4 cluster if I were building a truck. Good luck with the project and post pics!

tektic
(Senior Member)
11/22/18 12:42 PM

I need to figure out when the montero speedo switched away from cable drive.

I like the idea of the tablet but it seems too complicated to be trustworthy.

I also considered one of these universal Motercycle cluster

Tektic @ Instagram for build pics of the truck. The account pretty much dedicated to that and esoteric writing.

bradrs
(Member)
11/25/18 01:28 PM

I can't imagine you would get much support on how to wire up the $25 universal motorcycle cluster.

Some signals are fairly easy, like tach signals off of coils. But other ones like the fuel level senders will require some sort of specific calibration, and sometimes some external circuitry.

The DSM dimmer is on the ground side of the wiring, as mentioned above. This can make it tricky to wire up external lighting to the dimmer circuit. But if you are just using all of the OEM lighting in the dash, it isn't a problem.

FlyingEagle
(Eager Beaver)
11/26/18 05:15 PM

Quoting tektic:

Has anyone swapped to a lancer cluster or anything similar? I'd like an updated look for my dash.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume most the lights are a single wire. The fuel and coolant sensors are probably similar. The speedo still cable driven on the lancer? What about the vss sensor. That's in the cluster right?

You have some options from a Mitsu savvy guy:

bottom of the page

http://lancerproject.ca/

rag3
(Junior Member)
06/08/19 06:04 AM

I have seen some people use the S2000 AP1 cluster. They also make plug and play harness online for that cluster, depending on the type of car. The digital cluster ads a more modern look to the whole dash setup and plus the redline starts at 9,000 to it can accommodate for various types of builds.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page