The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

twin disc clutch?

turbowop

What kind of components does the Exedy twin use? Does it use sprung or solid hubs? I've got buddies who have had Evos with twins and they weren't nearly as bad as the standard DSM Quartermaster/PTT twin as far as driveability goes. I'm wondering if it's just a whole different type of twin that may be better or worse in other areas. It's all a tradeoff somewhere.

Last edited:

EMX5636

The DSM Exedy twin uses solid hubs. I have driven a few Evo's with their twin, and it feels awesome, but only holds up to bolt-on HP. I've driven two with the Exedy triple upgrade, and it uses solid hubs, drives just as nicely, holds tons of torque and shifts amazing.

Driveability for almost any twin is nicer than the PTT/QM setup. That was built to sustain drag racing environments. HKS/OS etc are more of a road race clutch. Comp twins feel great as well. Never tried Spec/ACT/etc so I can't comment.

Last edited:

gaylantvr4

ptt and quater master are circle track clutchs modded to fit dsm's. They have little surface area and don't last. If your clutch pedal/hydrolics are in great shape i would use a tmz single clutch.

prove_it

Do the Evo twin plates use the stock pull type release, versus a push type? That could be part of the drivability feel if they are.

EMX5636

Yes, Evo Exedy's are still pull-type. But the driveability seems to come with the light pressure plate and the friction material because mine is very pleasant to drive. The weight is the only thing to get used to. It's very light so it's easy to stall it unless you're used to it.

thecman02

Just to chime in on differences in twin discs. A friend of mines evo had the sprung exedy twin disk. They are easy to drive and quiet. As someone else said, it is like that because the friction material is way less aggressive, and the sprung hub reduces/eliminates resonance.

I bought Mark's old twin disc and stuck the gear drive setup in it with street friction material. It is still suppose to hold 600ft/lbs, but is way more streetable. The only annoying thing is the unsprung hub. It is great that I don't have to worry about springs shooting out, but the driveline resonance sucks. If the car is 90% on the street, South Bend Clutch has a setup that will hold very serious torque while remaining civil.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned