The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

On the value of heat shielding.

ade

saw ^this^ today, and need one on my galant.

Vader

Just finished installing my fp manifold mated to a big 16g yesterday, and damn that thing puts out some heat! I did a little research on ceramic coating the manifold, but apparently fp advises against it due to weaking the manifold material, although the two ceramic coaters I talked to disagreed with fp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I've had various other manifolds coated in the past with good results, fp is just special I guess! Ill probably go the blanket/shield route as soon as I sort out a few oil leaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

G

Staff member
Fp doesn't know what they are talking about, in fact they used to offer ceramic coatings but were doing it wrong so I think they stopped. I've been using ceramic coatings to control heat for about 16+ years and from my personal experience they do work if the material is prepped correctly and a high quality type/company is used. I don't get how other members here remove their engines, redo their bays, rebuild their motors but fail to incorporate heat management in to their builds until after the fact? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Heat management should be part of the build goal.

Last edited:

Wookalar

Quoting prove_it:
A solid pipe from turbo to IC? You must never need to service anything on your car.

I'm not really sure what difficulty people were having removing a small section of lower IC piping which led to this new fad of people using two pipes there but the couplers and clamps are quite easy to get to IMO. Especially on Mark's set up where his pipe runs over the top of the manifold, his comp housing coupler is exposed right in front.. My comp housing points down and I still have no problem loosening two T-bolt clamps when I need to remove the pipe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting G:
Fp doesn't know what they are talking about, in fact they used to offer ceramic coatings but were doing it wrong so I think they stopped. I've been using ceramic coatings to control heat for about 16+ years and from my personal experience they do work if the material is prepped correctly and a high quality type/company is used. I don't get how other members here remove their engines, redo their bays, rebuild their motors but fail to incorporate heat management in to their builds until after the fact? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Heat management should be part of the build goal.

Didn't FP have issues with cracking on their first units though? Maybe they're saying if you contain all of that extra heat after putting on a thermal coating, the manifold composition isn't good enough and will crack? I agree, not much of an excuse though.

jnava

Staff member
Yes, Amber stated once that the longevity was compromised when using anything to keep heat from dissipating. She indicated that it would lead to cracks. So heat shields similar to our stock ones might be the solutions to the problem, otherwise, you can have premature failure on your FP mani.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned