The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filters.

gvr4ever

What oil filters are you using now?

Wix are apparently made in China now. OR, Napa Gold is no longer really Wix? Let me know if Wix is still good...
I ran out of some MANN filters I bought earlier. Or, on the last one with a young oil change on the car.

Just curious as to what you guys are running now.

r4pt0x

I'm always using the genuine "made in japan" filters: MD322508 (stubby/wide variant) or MD360935 (longer/shallower variant). They have the proper, thick yellowish filter mat and a magnet.
Most aftermarket filters use thin, cheap filter paper and have no magnet. To achieve the longer service intervals demanded nowadays they also often have either a weaker spring for their bypass or no spring-loaded bypass at all (i.e. they always let a certain amount of oil bypass the filter).

It's not that those filters cost an arm and a leg, so why cheap out on such a vital part?

4Grim

I only use Wix or OEM Mitsubishi.

Wix has several manufacturing plants globally, but more of their plants are in the U.S. They do have a manufacturing plant in China..but its possible to supply product in that region. Their main plant is still in N.C.

Their filters are still quality top notch stuff and continue to prove it with independent tests.

gvr4ever

This is what I saw that started the thought process. Rewatched it and it looks like Napa Gold is now made in China, not Wix. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll likely go OEM. I'll never pretend to be an expert, but I've watched many videos where they measure filtration and oil pressure. Seems like overall, the higher the filtration is, the lower the oil pressure. Being a turbo, that feeds oil to the turbo (for the near stock that still have an oil feed turbo), the more near stock oil filtration is, the closer to stock oil pressure is where I'd want it to be. For my DD turbo Kia, I just ordered Kia filters in bulk to get the factory oil pressure they want, more than the best filtration I can find. I don't do extended oil changes, so I'm more interested in designed factory oil pressure more than anything.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings